Early MX400 motor on Ebay

yamadjs08

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-01-Cannondale...r#ht_1068wt_905

Looked interesting, definitely early. Lets see who can point out whats different on it?

This forums so dead lately! Just trying to get some conversation out there ha.

marshall100

#2 Post by marshall100 »

Clutch casing is different and......erm......PASS!

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

It dose look like the side cover is aluminum also. wasn't the aluminum clutch cover normal on the 01's along with the cam sensors? Other thing I noticed is the crankcase drain plug. Did the bikes come like this or were they updated?

As another note I haven't been on ebay in quite a while and I allready had it in my watched items, so its been on there a while and maybe if you can contact them with an offer

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Dec 17 2011, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It dose look like the side cover is aluminum also. wasn't the aluminum clutch cover normal on the 01's along with the cam sensors? Other thing I noticed is the crankcase drain plug. Did the bikes come like this or were they updated?

As another note I haven't been on ebay in quite a while and I allready had it in my watched items, so its been on there a while and maybe if you can contact them with an offer

Pretty sure the side cover is aluminum, along with the valve cover. The other things I noticed were the inverse torx bolts, and the VIN tag, isn't it normally stamped into the case? Rather than a metal plate?

who_gives_a6

#5 Post by who_gives_a6 »

This engine was discussed in the bike forum under 2001 MX400 previously. Owner is a scrap yard that bought the bike cheap and is parting it out. They paid like $800 for the entire thing. I'm local to him and he refused to budge on price of any parts and does not allow anyone to check out parts before buying.

The original owner of that bike said it was running when sold. Unupdated and untouched since purchase in 2001.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The valve cover would be the most valuable part of that engine. The crank would be small bearing one. The cams would be good as well but the cover would have to come off to see before buying. $1000 is kind of optimistic as a starting bid....
The side cover is aluminum .