Loose Lips, Sinks Ships

haydug

Loose Lips, Sinks Ships

#1 Post by haydug »

I have officially recovered one of my stolen bikes. If some of you remember the "vent for a minute" thread, you will appreciate this.
In Feb. my garage was broken into and 3 bikes stolen, but the theifs lit a match on their way out the door, burning everything.
I have been spending every spare moment searching for these ***holes, with a little luck. "loose lips sink ships" has struck. One of the bandits was a little drunk and mouthed off that he was after my new crf 450 quad and it was too wide to fit through the door, so if he couldn't steal it he just burnt it. We go to the law and tell them all the stuff so far, they say yeah, these guys are stealing atv's and hauling them in a horse trailor to KY and selling them, they have probably taken 75 or more.
Why haven't they arrested them yet?
One of the guys get caught on a stolen 4wd atv. What happens: they consficate the bike and tell him to stop by and they would handle the paper work. This is the guy that the sherriff just told me has stolen at leat 75 bikes.
So I get a call from someone I don't know one evening, I go meet him, and he takes me up to some hollow in KY. Seems that is where they were taking the bikes and selling them. My 400ex was consficated there by the KY police 3 weeks prior.
So, here we are, I have found the guilty parties, found one of my bikes, and found out where they were hiding my cannondale, so I go back to our friendly law office. (Don't forget these guys burnt over $200,000.00 worth of property) I tell them I have found one of my bikes at your suspect's uncle's house in KY, which he has now been arrested for possesion of stolen property and is naming names(singing like a bird). They say "thanks"
2 weeks have now went by, with NO queastioning of any suspect by our law office or by state fire marshall.
After 2 weeks of calling KY police everyday, I now have my bike back in my possession, $300 later(tow bill and storage). My motor is trashed, I took it apart this evening and rod is junk, piston came apart, seems they weren't smart enough to run race gas, and at 13:1 compression, it didn't last long.
I guess there is more to this story, but you get my drift here, what does a man have to do to get the law to help out? Right now they seem kinda worthless to me (NOT TO STEP ON ANYONES'S TOES BY THAT STATEMENT) but it seems to me that if they would apply some pressure, someone is bound to talk.
Just my .02

CowsBitePeople

#2 Post by CowsBitePeople »

Originally posted by CHAUNCY
Really glad to hear you recovered it.  Hopefully they will have to pay whatever they messed up:hammer:  I sure hope the law helps you out on this one:o

YEah

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I would take them to court.I doubt they are worth anything so small claims court is the way to go.Around here $5000 is the max you can get.I would go for the max from each and every one of them.You will win and you dont need a lawyer.This will never replace your stuff but they will have this hanging on them until they pay it off.The cops can and should also prosecute them criminally.Got a camera take their pictures and post them around so people know who they are.:hammer:

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Haydug: I remember your dilema. How did the Feds handle what you were telling them? Have you tried state police or even state officials. Senators and such love getting PR and helping out the little guy. You just have to be persistant. I am now going to court on the 22nd for my mishap. I have already been to pre-trial too. Even if I never recover a dime I will love being there when justice is served. The only person you could go after legally would be the one caught with the bike.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

The judge can require the thief to pay restitution for the damages. That doesn't mean you'll ever get it, but there will be an outstanding judgement against him.
A friend had his KX250 stolen- the thief's Dad paid the $1000 in court ordered restitution.

I'm glad to hear a little good coming because that really, really sucks!

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Just a side note a judgement has to be renewed every so often. I forget the number of years it lasts, but it is not indefinite. Found that fact out the hard way. All that you need to do is refile paperwork to continue it.

Restitution in my case is paid in order to get off of probation. Now here is the dilema if he goes to jail and spends 2 years in the slammer and gets out and he and the probation officer decide to pay $10 a month at that rate I might be paid back by the time I am 50. Great system we have here people.

Sorry I was babbling again:wow

Motoman440

#7 Post by Motoman440 »

Cool deal Doug, I am glad to hear your info. Things seem to be lookin up for ya!!! I with ya on the police statement. Don't want to make anyone mad but had a piece of rental property that a guy was dealing drugs out of. I called the police for months and even had a neighbor calling them as well. I did everything but take them by the hand, through the door and point to the drugs. Maybe I should have done that but they didn't do anything with this guy. I finally got him evicted but with no help from the police!!! Hang in there!!!

4punksdad

#8 Post by 4punksdad »

well......you know where he lives.........................go there with a 5 gallon can of gas and a match. apparently arson isn't illegal in KY.

haydug

#9 Post by haydug »

go there with a 5 gallon can of gas and a match
How about a bullet?
I was told by the polics not to be seen around these guys, or I would be in more trouble than them. I actually met with my insurance adjuster today, and talked to an investigater with Nationwide insurance for about 3 hours. My thoughts were they had some money invested in this, and they have people sitting around everyday that handles this kinda stuff, so maybe they could help me. Anyway, they can't do anything legally, but, they are going to try and ruffle some feathers above our sherrif's department. As far as restitution, I now have to get reciepts on my bike to make it as it was before it was stolen, and present them to the court at this guy's trial, and hope to get some restitution, but can't get blood out of a turnip. Sad thing is, the man charged now is just the uncle of the boys who done it, and is willing to testify against them to clear his name, but since no one cares, they are letting him take the blame. Oh Well. Better quit talking about it, making me upset again. Thanks for everyone's support on this site.:usa

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

I am going through the same thing here. You will probably have to take severeal days off of work too. Because they need you to testify that you didn't give the thief permission to take the bike. You would figure the police report would be enough.:hammer: