What I have been up to lately.

Happyboy

#1 Post by Happyboy »

Well, here is what I have spent around the last month working on. This is a ~450 sqft Cumaru deck. Cumaru is a Brazilian hardwood which omg is heavier than the wettest treated lumber you have ever held. And this is after it has dried!!

Note on the concept drawing I have a single picture frame border, I decided to build a double frame. I always seem to find myself taking on projects that are bigger than I should. I love it though. smile.gif
I actually already cut half the boards for my center inlay and will tape tomorrow and hopefully get started laying boards! Can't wait.

Oh, and those are temporary stairs. The real ones will go post to post +3" on either side.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

haulinit

#3 Post by haulinit »

Sweet! Nice looking build.

dalewannbe

#4 Post by dalewannbe »

Very nice. That does look like a major project. Where did you get that wood?

One other questions. What is the purpose of the post right next to your house, in the corner of your house.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

You can get Cumaru and other tropical hardwoods from specialty stores. Some lumber yards can order it but you will pay much more of a premium. Advantage lumber and BWDepot are the 2 I have dealt with.

The reason for the post in the corner is we will have a hand railing extending from it. You can just barely see where the fireplace ends right next to it. It extends out 10 feet and that fireplace is only like 2 feet.

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

Here is what the inlay looks like now that I have some down.

[attachment=12162:inlay_1.jpg]