10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY THREAD

wistech

#11 Post by wistech »

OK Ok if a bike guy wins they can have a cannondale tie down and a box of fruity pebbles. tongue.gif

When they grow up and ride a whole machine then they can have grown up prizes. laugh.gif

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

Here's a pic from our first Cannondale dune ride at STAnthonies I believe 2004 or 5. If you look close you can see the site owner .

promod

#13 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jan 28 2013, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When they grow up and ride a whole machine then they can have grown up prizes.

Love it John! Love it! laugh.gif laugh.gif dry.gif

MX Quad Dad

#14 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I like that pic john. reminds me of my first trip to silver lake. I know those dunes aren't much but, I was so tired of my son beating me up that comp hill, when I did get the holeshot on him I wasn't going to just let him just drive by me towards the top. That was the longest flight I have taken on a quad and don't care to try that again. next time if he can get by me towards the top I hope Im smart enough to just give it to him.

MX Quad Dad

#15 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Ok lets see if this story amusses anyone.

My son had decided he wasn't going to runn for point in D-14 MX. so I decided it was time to turn over my Polaris Scrambler to the wife and get myself a Speed. after a few months of hotrodding around our trails and MX track I decided to talk my son into doing a Hare scramble. He of coarse ran "A" class and I should have signed up for "C" But did the vet class. Neither of us had even watched a hare scramble. but how hard could it be, just ride the trails.

Practice was following a guy on a Mini for 1 lap. Would you believe there was a pile up (come on I didn't even take the dale out of first yet) about the first 1/8 of the track, my son was ahead of it and I behind so, The guy on the mini never saw it and never stopped. this part of the track was pretty simple and marked pretty good and then a section of it was the MX track which was a little more confusing, but the few straglers figured most of it out until, the last exit from the track which we missed and followed the rest of the MX track around to the start line. so I headed back to the pits, where I found I had beaten my son back. so I knew we did a wrong turn somewhere and missed the last section of the track. My son returns saying that they wanted the quads right back up to start. No problem he can explain the rest of the track while we top off the fuel. so we are husseling around checking over the quads while he is explaining the rest of the track.

he grabs the fuel can and starts to fuel my quad. We have one of those VP cans with the plastic hose out of the top and as he topped off my quad and gose to pull the hose out, the hose is still filled with gas and as lowers the can the hose pops out of my gas tank and spays all the fuel in the hose into my face and eyes also got into my helmment and goggles. I was starting to wounder if he thought I might have a chance of beating him.LOL. After washing my eyes and gogglles we did make it to the starting linein time.

They had a minute or two between class drops and he was in the first and I in the third drop. it was my first race in over 20 years and I was not wanting to get in anybodys way. I did beat a few guys off the line but there was a decent straightaway with a table top or two so I took the right side and kinda let them go which was a bad mistake because I think they were the same guys that wrecked on the practice lap and they did it again in almost the same spot. I locked up swerved and avoided them but, there was this little tree up aginst my right side a-arms. I figured no problem I would just drive right over it. as I started over it it was bending over just as I planned. I am not sure what happened but it was like that little tree decided it was going to let me just ride over it and somehow mustered the strength to flip me right over. Now I had to right my quads install the teather and refire. I could hear the last drop of quads were on thier way and the guys in the pileup hadn't all got going and I realy didn't want to try and tackel another one of those tiny trees. well the last one finaly gets going and we are off again but the trail is real narrow at this point and I was riding a bit over my head just to try and not hold these guys up. well I come around this corner and either caught a tree or a root and almost got tossed off the quad. Good news was I was still on the quad, Bad news, somehow I got the d@#$% quad stuck between two trees Now let me explain this, It was across the trail with a tree in front and behind it BOTH TREES TOUCHING the quad. and to make matters worse the last drop had caught me with a sea of these little trees all around us. I actually saw a guy do the exsact same thing I did just a few minutes ago. I had to lift the rear of the quad high enough to get a rear tire past the tree then I let it roll back and off to the side to let these other guys go by. Teather and refire and I'm off again. This is when I relised I haven't even finished a 1/4 of a lap and s#@&^ up twice already so, I decided to make finishing the rest of the first lap without anymore wrecks my #1 goal and slowed down a bit. which I think I should have at least tried to keep up with the last set of quads. I did find were my son told me they left the track on the practice lap. a little ways into the unknown section of the track it got real smooth and about the time I was thinking it didn't seem right a guy came running out in front of me telling me I was on the kids track. A lot of the markers they used were servey stakes with a ribbon tied between them and my son later told me as the "A" class was battling around the corner were I said the track got real smooth, one of the leaders caught one of the stakes and what ever kind of ribbon used between them was strong enough to pulled them all up and the guy was dragging them behind his quad

So, Back on the track and managed to finish the rest of the lap, well really the rest of the race with no more mishaps.

werty

#16 Post by werty »

It all started for me 4 years ago. I was dealing with a breakup looming over my Toyota rock Crawler. I traded it for a Cannondale Cannibal 440 and $1200. I figured getting rid of a money pit would help the relationship. Well having that extra coin in my pocket allowed me to royaly mess the relationship up. Fast forward a year all the riding I had been doing on the quad got me testing the ATV tires for httdp://www.resiliout of the polaris armsenttech.com. I found out real quick that riding for 48 hours a week took all the fun out of playing in the desert. I used their Polaris 800efi quads, thank God because the way the airless tire beat the ball joints out of the Polaris arms the Cannondale would have killed me dropping an arm. Well after a while of doing that I got tired of riding every day and wanted to go back to riding my Cannondale. So I found a new job. I can tell one thing about this quad it has made a huge difference on my life. I try to ride every other weekend. The fun I have on my Cannondale is a close second to being in bed with my girlfriend now. **** I even got laid on the Cannodale. So there's my long winded story.

Brad Oakley

#17 Post by Brad Oakley »

Having been at the St Anthony's ride where Wistech's photo was taken... John, I'm sure you'll remember this. I'll have to set the stage since the position of the vehicles are critical to the outcome of the story. I'm sitting on my quad about 10 feet away from the lip of a large bowl. Spiering and Timbo are immediately to my right, both of their quads stopped with their front wheels perched on the edge of the bowl. They are to my right because I am stopped at a right angle to their quads. Right next to me, on my left is John. We're busy BSing when we hear Timbo start his engine. I also need to note that there is a strong wind that's blowing past Laska then me and then past the guys on the bowl's edge. Timbo revs his quad up, pops the clutch and heads into the bowl, leaving a HUGE roost in his wake. As noted, I'm directly behind him - about 5 feet away. I have just enought time to turn my head and wait to get blasted. John is doing the same. BUT... it never hits us. The wind is so strong that it turns all that sand around about a foot away from me and heads it back the other way - right into Speiring. Of course, Speiring is also getting hit by the front of Timbo's roost at the same time so he completley disappears into this huge cloud of sand that pelts him from all directions. At the time Speiring was running an air filter mounted directly over the velocity stack in the bottom of the airbox (no lid). It was a good thing his engine wasn't running! When the sand settled there was over an inch of sand in the bottom of the airbox. It turned out to be an easy fix. Eight of us grabbed Speiring's quad, turned it over and shook the sand out of the airbox.

67z400

#18 Post by 67z400 »

Great stories, sounds like we all have St. Anthony's in common. I have been riding my Cannondale for 6+ years. In 2006 I graduated college and have been riding a modded Suzuki z400 for the past 4 years. I was ready for something new and during my search on z400central.com someone's dad out of Vegas was selling his Cannondale Speed. At this point I knew little about Cannondale, except for the they got great reviews when they first came out. The price was right and I jumped on it. Me and three of my friend drove from St. Louis non-stop to Las Vegas. We made a weekend out of Vegas then pickup up the quad. I got home; checked fluids, rode a few laps in the back yard, and gave myself a pat on the back. Two weeks later I went on a trip to St. Anthony's with the Cannondale and Z400. On the second day at the dunes my motor locked up on the speed. I pulled the spark plug and it was smashed, indicating a dropped valve. Later that winter I came across a freshly rebuilt motor that was a cable clutch, 460 piston, port n polish, crank bearing, and a few other items. I swapped out the motor and have been riding on it ever since. The trials and errors along the way have been great. I get a lot of compliments when I ride a public places...Some day when my time is less demanding I will rebuild the blown motor in my basement.

theJeStEr1340

#19 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

I haven't been on here in a long time, but I found some part laying around (2 front number plates and a left delete in red to list in the for sale section).

I bought my first cannibal in 03 or 04 from a member on here, completely stock, I picked it up on a Wednesday, raced it in a local MX race Saturday and pulled the holeshot on it in moto 2, it had a bills pipe and blaze map. I raced it every weekend and upgraded it as I went. after a year I put a new top end in it and went ahead and had timbo port and polish it and stroke the crank. I started to get more serious about racing and my dad got a cannibal, we raced Flat track together and one night someone from a local dealer approached him and told him they had a moto that didn't run, so we picked that up, I had the motor out of it within the hour of getting it home and swapped my motor (built) into it, traded the ohlins for some axis that were valved for my weight and took the moto on to win a Track Cahmpionship and an Southern ATVA Flat track championship, edging out the local kid that won nationals that year (We didn't have the money to run all of the nationals).

We sold the cannibal (after updating the motor) to a fellow who paid to have it shipped to arizona and loved it.

We did get up to Ashtabula Ohio for a national were me met up with Timbo who tuned our maps a little and pushed me on to a 5th out of 44 riders.

I had quite a few hours on my moto by the time I let her go. A nice guy drove down from michigan to pick her up, then returned a few weeks later to get my dads, which at the time had a decompression failure or dropped a valve, the only failure we had in 3 seasons of racing, I would race flat track on my moto saturday night, unhook the sway bar, raise up my shocks, swap tires and wheels and run MX on sunday.

These days instead of wrenching on dale I wrench on cars, I am getting ready to start swapping an LS1 into my 01 BMW M3. It currently has suspension, wheels, short shifter, stiffer clutch, lightened flywheel, intake and exhaust. Always hunting for more power!

Catmochanic

#20 Post by Catmochanic »

Great stories guys! I am just starting on my cannondale adventure, hopefully in another 10 years I will have some great memories to share also.