Turning Point :(

Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

I'm kinda at a turning point. I don't ride much 3-4 times a year. Been looking around at other quads because mine needs a ton of motor work. Leaking oil into the trans (not oil bridge o rings) leaking coolant (bad valve cover) Won't start after sitting for less than a month without fresh gas for some reason. Has a few updates but needs many more. I love my speed it runs great with tons of bottom end TQ (South Bay motor with who knows what inside it) The problem is it beats the **** out of me every time I ride it. Would a Moto ride smoother? I weigh 250 and it seems like the back is always bottoming out and the front is stiff as a board on the sand. I have played with the rear setting on the shock and cant honestly tell any difference no mater where it's set. It's really the front that is the problem though. I ride on the sand and my hands are beat after a day of riding. I have ridden my friends LTR 450 and you don't even feel the choppy sand on it. Same goes for my Outlaw 500. If a Moto suspension rides much smoother I would be tempted to go that rout. I found a deal on a Moto that seems pretty good. The other option would be going to another brand instead of dropping a bunch of money into a motor and still having a quad that rides super stiff. It seems like I spend way too much time with my Speed getting ready for every trip the way it sits now. My outlaw 500 just starts and runs every time as well as my friends LTR. The other Quads I have been looking at would be the LTR 450 witch I have ridden and like pretty well. A straight axle Outlaw 525 or 450 or the KTM 525 or 450 XC. Any thoughts on what to do would be appreciated. Don't get me wrong Cannondales are totally me in every way. I love the power and being different than everybody else but I need to make a choice.

1ORMOTO

#2 Post by 1ORMOTO »

Any long travel front end will improve the ride. I have a Moto and it is an entirely different ride from a stock cannible. Robert

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

first I would ask, when was the last time you had your shocks serviced? and were they setup for your weight? I belive onlin told me they were set up for 180-200 pound rider. plus cannondale shocks are about 12 years old and if they have never been serviced, they most likely need some attension.

Its been a while since I set up our suspension but, if you have to much race sag and can't get it even close with the spring adjustment you will probably need a differant spring. nitrgen charge does support a little but I dont think it is very much. if the rear of the quad is higher more weight should thansfer to the front

another thing is, rolling your bars foward or a differant bend might make you sit foward which could help. when my son was racing I found that for me it made a noticabe differace but, he was a lot ligther and he didn't seem to notice as much

rayspeed

#4 Post by rayspeed »

I have been riding on speed shocks in the sand for over 8 years now in both stock and +2+1 configuration and was kind of feeling the same way.. the chop from the big sand cars seems to be getting worse or I am just getting older! Recently I fell into a deal on some blaze shocks and got to ride on a moto front end for the first time and it was night and day difference. That lighter spring lets them soak up the chop quite a bit I must say by being more free for that first few inches of travel is probably the key. If you can buy it right I would highly suggest it however make sure everything is tight first because it will nickel and dime you to get it tight again altho there are some bushings and improved parts that wil last longer than stock available from some people here. I will say that the speed shocks were much more durable seal wise for some reason I never had one leak but the blazes needed serviced from just sitting and the motos needed service after the first ride but they had been sitting for at least five years.
Sounds like your rear shock needs attention... I can tell a huge difference in how its adjusted by just pushing down on the back and watching it come back up... I think you would benifit from one of those tcs conversions that have a light spring in there added, there was one on ebay pretty reasonable.

Bvcracingcdale

#5 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

I feel same way

Its the frame. Super super super stiff!!!

I went from doing 6 hard all out laps on my moto. To doing 15 on my honda....

I owned 2 ltr450s. Very comfortable I now have ktm450sx and trx250r

They beat you up, You need to run the plushest suspension u can find , the frame/ chassis just does not have any flex

who_gives_a6

#6 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I kind of agree with the frame idea. But went to air shocks with a good ZPS rear and completely changed the feeling. But that's not a budget route.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I agree with the frame theory too. Granted I have elkas/gt thunder suspension on the Honda. The cdale always felt tippy to me.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Just add bottles to the Speed Shocks and they are as good as Blaze shocks. Contact Timbo or anyone else I have converted them for and ask. Night and day diff. The rear should have a refresh and a spring change. I believe Caniboomer still has plenty of the lower rate springs. Also are your a-arm bushings shot and siezed up?

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Shockdoc to the rescue! smile.gif

Reeve

#10 Post by Reeve »

Thanks for the help. I didn't think my shocks were bad. They don't leak and feel like they have good damping and my brothers speed rides just like mine.So what does it cost to have the reservoirs added and have the shocks gone through? I guess I should ask Dave about a stiffer rear spring too.