CP piston group buy poll?

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I had a talk with Tim tonight about the piston situation. He his utterly swamped and far behind on other work and Cannondales are backburner projects. There is a reason he doesnt answer the phone. Ordering pistons and liners is something to do months down the road if he can come up with the money and time to do it. I believe if we want pistons made we need to collectively put up the money for a serious order up front not just for pistons but liners as well. I asked for a ballpark price and we would be looking at around $525 each for an order of 10 to 20 complete kits with new AL sleeves. And thats with Tim breaking even on the deal. I know Tim doesnt have $6000 laying around for a minimum order. So if you want to get this project going lets see who here is willing to pony up some cash. Please sound off. Now be aware the more we order the cheaper the parts get. So if we get a lot ordered there might be a subtantial price reduction.

My personal opinion is all piston kits for this order need to be 98mm high compresion stock stroke. If you want it lowered its easy to shave a few thousanths off the top to lower the compresion to whatever you like. There is no price difference in piston size and stroker cranks although a different piston are just to rare . Id just like to see a simple common order of one size so the idiots who take orders at cp dont screw up trying to build 5 variations of the same piston like they do almost every time.
My other issue is I dont need sleeves and just want to keep a stock of 2 or 3 pistons so I can only help out on the piston side for now.

cdsracer

#2 Post by cdsracer »

I'm willing to put in for two, but I want pistons that are suitable for stroker cranks.

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I'm in a similar boat. I have two good 98mm cylinders and a 97mm but no pistons. All my cranks are strokers though. If this gets going I'd be interested in a few pistons and maybe an extra cylinder as well. As long as they can be made to work with the strokers.

So would we be able to get something going if we have far more pistons than just cylinders or do they need to be ordered as a pair?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

No we can get just pistons. But if its just a few sleeves then the price on those alone is not going to be $200 but $400 to $500 each. Now when you say you have good sleeves are they sleeves that were built for CP pistons ? Then you might be OK on clearnaces . Over the years Ive collected steel sleeves in 96 ,97mm which I send out to a local machine shop and have bored to perfect fit 98mm cp's. Unfortunatly many used sleeves were built to the wrong size externally and had to be tossed. If you have used sleeves I highly recommend measuing them for OD and height before using them. Press them in a case and check the actual ID very precisely . Ill get the numbers for the right clearance. I have all mine done to .0035" clearance. Some 98mm WWE piston kits were smaller so they could be honed to fit the slightly larger 98mm CP pistons even if they were nikasil.

So just us 3 guys are almost halfway to a decent size order piston only . smile.gif

who_gives_a6

#5 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I have a 97 and a 98 that are CP made. One 98 is an LA steel sleeve that Tim matched for a CP. I need a few pistons regardless but depending sleeve pricing, spares are always nice.

dunnbandit1

#6 Post by dunnbandit1 »

I will take a set. I have a falicon stroker crank I think uses a standard piston

werty

#7 Post by werty »

I will take a cp 98mm piston and sleeve.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (dunnbandit1 @ Mar 10 2014, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will take a set. I have a falicon stroker crank I think uses a standard piston

A set as in a 98mm stock stroke with sleeve?

If so thats 10 pistons already.

dunnbandit1

#9 Post by dunnbandit1 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 11 2014, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A set as in a 98mm stock stroke with sleeve?

If so thats 10 pistons already.

ya

who_gives_a6

#10 Post by who_gives_a6 »

So just to clarify: we can get them ordered for both stock stroke as well as for stroker cranks?