anyone else have one of these?

vickie0523

#1 Post by vickie0523 »

Recently, I have been cleaning out my dad's massive hoarding collection (tools,valves,pipe fittings, etc) from the garage behind my house in order to move all my atv stuff into it from the one attached to house. While doing this I found a cdale item that came on my first cdale I bought new at the dealer in 02. Its a battery skid plate. Its aluminum. Fits under frame where battery sits and also comes up to cover the entire side where the solenoid and wires are. totally encases the positive side. it seems to be made well. no brand marking on it. I ran it for about 2 months until I bought my prm full skid. been sitting on shelf ever since. totally forgot about it til I re discovered few weeks ago. im not sure if it was a cannondale item from factory and they only made a few or if it was a dealer thing because they had never seen that many wires hanging off the side and got nervous.lol I don't know how to put pics on here but if anyone wants to see what it is I can text pics of it. 1-304-893-2130. just wondering if im the only one that has one or has seen one. ive also got an all aluminum coolant reservoir bottle as well complete with screw on aluminum cap..don't know why that was done or by who. the skid makes sense because it does have functionality but as far as the bottle im just not seeing that!

[attachment=13676:20151127_145356.jpeg]
[attachment=13677:20151127_145417.jpeg]
[attachment=13678:20151127_145500.jpeg]
[attachment=13679:20151127_145523.jpeg]

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

tank makes a lot of sense. a lot of people over tighten the OEM cap and once they slip over the threads once it seems like you can't stop them from leaking. my son is one that tends to over tighten plastic caps. we bought our Moto in early 02 and he over tightened it and just sitting in the pits reving it, it would spew antifreeze. I would say it is more the cap than the tank because a simple hose clamp around the cap cures the problem. it seemed like shortly after I had the problem it surfaced on the forums.

for a ski-doo you can buy an insert that goes inside the neck of the oil tank. I guess their tank neck deforms if over tightened. I never heard of anyone tring that for the dale, but it might work

vickie0523

#3 Post by vickie0523 »

i can kinda see a point about the cap in a way...ive never had a problem of over tightening one but i can see it happening. any time ive had a prob with tank leaking it always seems to leak from the seam line . but they were use ones that had probably boiled over a few times and were no longer good anyway. i think the reason why the one i had was put on is because the owner before me seemed to be having an over heating issue. when i bought the 2 quads and tons of parts i discovered that the 450 one had a wood screw jammed into to nipple with a worm clamp on tight holding it and a worm clamp really tight on cap as well. probably why they had 5 coolant bottle ,one aluminum, 4 radiators, and lots of hoses. it also had a stator on it that i removed that looked like a burnt piece of charcoal. cant belief it would even start ! the tranny when u removed the clutch cover smelled like their had been some deep fry cookin going on in there as well. when tim removed the sleeve it had signs of a lot of heat as well. guess they couldn't figure it out. i thought the wood screw and worm clamps were a dumb idea because expanding liquid is gonna find somewhere to come out when its that hot. its gonna go somewhere!

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

cap has a relief and even with the clamp around it, it still works. as for the wood screw, if it was in the small nipple in the bottle, that was probably his overheating problem to start with. where did he have the small line hooked to or was that pluged too?

my son over tightened the res. cap on the Moto early in 02. I ordered a new res and cap right away, but the clamp trick never failed and it is still on there today