found a basket case

zedicus

#1 Post by zedicus »

i came across a c'dale cannibal in Tupperware on local craigslist and picked it up. its sold as an 02 but actually has Ohlins all around, red plastics, cable clutch. and seems to be in good condition other than the original owner was going to change the crank bearing and got it about 90% taken apart and then it has sat for 10+ years. hopefully i can find a good crank, (i will p ut a high comp piston in it too while its apart) and put it back together and be good to go.

i will try to get some pics up tonight.

any other serious things i should be on the lookout for?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Yes lots, plus a host of externals. But there are no basket cases -- only machines in a basket. You can certainly build it back to much better than it ever was. Head check thorough or a full porting dissection, decomp & bores checks etc. Boost the pitiful low oil pressure and prevent Hydrolock, check or replace one-way bearing, crank of course, usual best to stay with the stock piston kit, invest porting instead, and check valvecover version and other lacking external needs.
Congrats on getting one. It will come to life again.

zedicus

#3 Post by zedicus »

do you work on these things? i seen mention of your name in a post asking about service work. as in if my crank is good can you press it apart and put a z400 bearing on it?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

.... uh Yes, but only 7 days a week.

For cranks out west here?, I am lucky to have CrankWorks just down the highway,
and batch everything through there. You probably have Timbo closer to you, but guys usually have to pack and mail anyway. IFFF the rod and pin are both good, it gets a much cheaper and faster turnaround.., or you just spring for a new unit off the shelf.

zedicus

#5 Post by zedicus »

great, i will sure be looking for this community to get this thing back in running order.

couple crappy cellphone pics for now.