I want a C'dale and all my friends and family are telling me to run away

StickySh33ts

#1 Post by StickySh33ts »

I found what I believe is a great deal on a 02 x440s. The guy says there are no issues (Don't they all) says hes done oil changes every 100 miles and has owned it in two years.
Given the nature of enduros/dirtbikes it seems that in that amount of time most bikes would need a valve adjustment or other work done, that alone makes me nervous.
Regardless to get to the point I want this fuking bike...Bad.
American made, EFI, aluminum frame, high compression, it seems on paper like a total performance machine, like an American made WR450.
The obvious draw back is the company tanked. After watching my father go through helll with his Buell 1125r with having multiple shops including a Harley dealer (That had his bike in their shop for over 3 months...) all attempt to repair his bike just to send it back to him in the exact same condition makes me nervous to buy this bike for similar reasons.
How many OEM replacement parts are still available? How many parts swap off other bikes?
How difficult is the maintenance for an amateur since shops locally have already told me they wont touch it...
This bike seems awesome, but my friends and family are telling me run dont walk away!
I feel like this is the best place to get real input from people that have probably faced most if not all issues with these bikes.
What would you do? I got this guy down 2500 to 1800 already but because he hasnt been able to sell it in over a year I bet I could break him down even lower...

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Welcome! Cannondales are a labor of love. They require some updates from the factory and then they can be as reliable as anything else out there. There appears to be plenty of parts still, with few exceptions and the fact that you are riding American built has always appealed to me. The issues with Buell have to do with problems nobody can fix ....yet. Cannondales went thru the same growing pains until we as a group came up with some updates that made them more reliable. My only concern for paying what you are quoting is what updates have been done to that bike. If none, I would walk away as the price is still a bit high. There was a motorcycle on here that was fully updated that sold for less money.