This is weird and shameful.

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Last year Tim's father hooked me up with this sweet G6 convertable for my wife. It had a bunch of issues but for the price I couldnt pass it up. After some study I learned this car has a huge 3.9 liter v6 that they used especially for the convertable due to the extra weight from body stiffeners. About 600pounds extra. So Im thinking cool. Now come to find out it actually has less power than the standard 3.5 liter in the standard pontiac g6 . So I jack up the car and what do I find. The exhaust has been neutered from the y pipes back by an 1 3/8 pipe. Thats pretty much the same size as one of the headpipes on a dale. Trying to cram 250hp through a straw. Funny thing the pipe necks back up to 2 inch once it gets back to the muffler. They even crushed and kinked the pipe to clear a chassis brace . It just makes me sick.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

So of course I went online and ordered bunch of 2 1/4" stainless straight and prebent tubing along with a straight through resonator and dual outlet muffler . I got mig welder out and went at it.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

What a difference . Supposedly its an easy 30hp gain but the torque must have went through the roof. The traction control now struggles to keep the tires from spinning once the revs pick up. As an added bonus fuel ecomony went from never better than 28 to over 30mpg on last weekends trip. Even though its basically a straight through system its no louder than stock with just a little sweet rumble on accel. Ive heard they neutered the car so its quieter with the top down and for clearance on the body stiffenrs but geez do some fricken engineering instead of this crap GM. mad.gif

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

You can't leave anything alone.
Nice job.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 3 2016, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a difference . Supposedly its an easy 30hp gain but the torque must have went through the roof. The traction control now struggles to keep the tires from spinning once the revs pick up. As an added bonus fuel ecomony went from never better than 28 to over 30mpg on last weekends trip. Even though its basically a straight through system its no louder than stock with just a little sweet rumble on accel. Ive heard they neutered the car so its quieter with the top down and for clearance on the body stiffenrs but geez do some fricken engineering instead of this crap GM. mad.gif

Sounds to me like its time for EFI Live and some dyno time biggrin.gif ohmy.gif