Answer this riddle

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Ive been pulling seat covers off to send them in to have custom covers installed. Now I can understand installing a custom seat cover over the top of another cover for looks or to cover damage but I had 2 seats with just plain 02/03 black cannibal seat covers installed over near perfect FX400 seats. These have been sitting on shelves since around 2004 . Was there something about the fx400 covers people wanted to hide? The only thing I remember is the fx400 seats were popular with racers because they were shorter and stiffer . This is just odd . ANyways anybody want some near perfect fx400 seat covers?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

John, I am doing a restoration back to stock on one. I would be interested in one in perfect condition.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I have one boxed up for you . Still hanging out in Homestead?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Yes sir!

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Perhaps the factory covered some with plain Black... in the transition to the Cannibal. But I can see a guy covering the "400" misnomer anyway.
Cannondale was so conservative -- Honda and others would have been naming a 432cc machine as a 450. Even referring to our machines as 440's is too honest,
compared to the norm out there. Heck, my 350 Rancher is a mere 329cc.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

I never thought about that . They did do stuff like put ohlins shocks on cannibals and lots of the fx400 internals in newer engines.

promod

#7 Post by promod »

I remember the same thing about the C'Dale ATV seats!, When I was a dealer I ordered a replacement seat for a FX400 for a customer and when it came in it was a Cannibal seat, I called C'Dale and they said just remove the cover and underneath it you will find the original FX400 cover, So yes I guess on most the seats they were just recovering the FX400 seats they had in stock with the Cannibal covers as Dave said they were a very conservative company!, And I also agree with Dave they should have called them 450's if they were smart as there is a lot of other companies that badge them as 125-250-450cc or whatever but they fall quite a bit short of those CC's!, For one instance I have several Italian Cagiva WMX and WRX250's bikes that were in fact only 190cc's and that's way out of the ballpark! ohmy.gif

vickie0523

#8 Post by vickie0523 »

hey promod....recently looking through old three wheeler stuff and to my surprise I discovered that for a short time cagiva made a trike.....saw ur post and I recal them saying it was 190cc motor to they used in it from the dirtbike . said it allowed them to skirt the rules since the motor was only 190cc even though called a 250.....off topic but reminded me of that article I read

promod

#9 Post by promod »

QUOTE (vickie0523 @ Nov 20 2016, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey promod....recently looking through old three wheeler stuff and to my surprise I discovered that for a short time cagiva made a trike.....saw ur post and I recall them saying it was 190cc motor to they used in it from the dirtbike . said it allowed them to skirt the rules since the motor was only 190cc even though called a 250.....off topic but reminded me of that article I read

The Cagiva ATC was not made by Cagiva!,....It was built/converted into a off-road Three wheeler or ATC (All Terrain Cycle) by a company in MO called "Tricky D.i.c.k.s" (had to put the periods in the last word as it kept blocking it trying to post it as I guess the software for this site picked it up as a bad word! ohmy.gif so just remove the periods for the proper word...and will be referred to T.D.'s from here on!) who made ATC 3-wheeler conversion kits back in the day for various other brand dirt bikes using various front end parts, rear ends, plastics and other parts with mods from Honda's ATC250R's, They concentrated on the '83-'84 Cagiva WMX250 for there base and made 50 of them and sold them as a race ready ATC already to go racing out of the crate, Even though the Cagiva WMX250 dirt bike or T.D.s converted WMX250-ATC only had a 190cc motor in it, it would hold its on against a full sized 250 with the right rider if you kept it up on the bubble, it was like riding a 125cc machine on steroids, And on the track the T.D.s converted Cagiva ATC done very well on the circle track and even beat out several Honda ATC250R's in several events, But of course the ATC thing ended in '86 and then T.D.'s ATC conversion kits, T.D's Cagiva WMX250-ATC and other brand production ATC's became history!

Still have the several magazines those bikes was in and several mint condition brochures advertising it!...Although I never owned any ATC's or even ATV's myself as I am 2-wheels all the way!

But also on this topic I was contacted several months ago by the son of the late founder of T.D.'s looking for some Cagiva WMX250 engine parts (which I have a lot of nos Cagiva parts!) to build/restore one of his fathers Cagiva conversions in honor of him!....Pretty cool! cool.gif