I think it's dead

Reeve

#1 Post by Reeve »

Took my Speed out to the Oregon dunes last weekend and it was running great. Had a minor issue a few times where it died. Felt like I might have lost fuel pressure because it popped a bit when it happened. I let a friend ride it and it ended up on it's lid after he went over backwards. It died right away but wouldn't restart. The motor now turns but not a full rotation before it locks up. Not sure how flipping it would cause that but it looks like it's done for. Not sure what the plan is but I can't complain too much. I got my money out of this thing and it outlasted a bunch of the big brand newer quads that my friends ride.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

If that's all that happened, try pulling the spark plug and turning it over. It maybe you just got oil into the cylinder. If it's still locked you will probably need a rebuild.

Reeve

#3 Post by Reeve »

That's the next thing I was going to do. Not sure how that much oil could get in there but it's worth a shot. I have a bore scope to see what it looks like in there.

bigfoot17

#4 Post by bigfoot17 »

I'm not the expert that Ken is. But hydrolock was my first guess.

SlOoT

#5 Post by SlOoT »

You can also remove the flywheel cover and try to turn the engine and at the point were it locks just keep slight pressure. If it is hydrolocked the oil will slowly go past the piston rings and then you can turn the engine over. Once it turns over, manualy rotate the engine a few more times and after that try to start it.

That is how I always start it when it's hydro locked.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

You can set the quad on the rear grab bar and rotate the flywheel till the oil drains out the exhaust. Beats taking it apart. But of course the plug might be oil fouled and you will have to pull the plug anyway.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

I agree you should not need to pull the plug, if it is hydrolocked. Just pop off the flywheel cover and turn it over manually, and you can also do it back-forth, just not as hard in reverse which could loosen the nut. You will soon detect more movements... and hear some sloshing. Once freed up for a full turnover, yep it's good to keeping turning clockwise for maybe up to a dozen times, since each turn will spit a few more tablespoons of oil up into the frame -- and the starter can turn it over faster. If using an Iridium plug, don't worry about fouling.

Reeve

#8 Post by Reeve »

Well It didn't want to turn a full turn either way so I pulled the plug. There is no oil on the piston and no signs of damage from what I can see. It just won't turn past top dead center. I am going to put a bore scope in it and have a better look.

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

Since it's not hydrolocked, I think you may have a bent or broken valve. You definitely have something amiss. Can also be a loose bolt in the cartridge plate hitting the clutch basket.

Reeve

#10 Post by Reeve »

Well I finally put a bore scope in it. Turns out when it flipped it managed to suck sand into the exhaust and it somehow got all the way into the cylinder. I nothing looked bent or broken but I'll have to fire it up to tell for sure. Any tips for getting the sand out? I was thinking compresses air but figured that might blow it further into the ring pack.