Dont paint your plastic.

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

For what it cost to have a pro paint shop do this plastic in black he could have bought black plastic. But since paint will not stick to plastic 20 minutes with a pressure washer and its back to original colors. I can see why he painted it though .It looks like Ronald Mcdonalds quad.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

$400 worth of black paint mellow.gif

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

After a few rides the red came chipping through. On the bright side the rear fender is the FX400 red and still in great shape.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

By the way I bought this quad to help someone out in financial trouble. If someone needs and engine ,chassis or the whole thing its for sale. The engine is a ported 432 with new crank ,cams ,DLC buckets and all of my updates. The quad is all there and motivates pretty good. I went through it a couple years ago and it has been sitting in storage for a long time while the owner was away . I think it went on a half dozen rides. Teflon fuel lines ,new ball joints, chain and sprockets . I would change the plastic scheme and put some different tires on it. It also has a blinding LED headlight array on the bars. I have several projects right now so it will sit in the corner of the garage until I decide what to do with it or the original owner gets enough money to buy it back.

promod

#5 Post by promod »

I agree...Don't paint your plastic!

Similar situation just happened to me!

About a week or so ago I bought a 2001 Cobra Motorcycle, model: King Senior, which is a 50cc liquid cooled, billet engine cases, auto trans, Ohlin's rear suspension, USD front forks, Billet wheels etc..super trick American made full blown mini MX racer, I have this thing for 'Lil tricked out 50cc mini racing bikes as own several like little Husky's, LEM's, KTM's and Polini's! wacko.gif

But anyway noticed a lot of bubbling going on with the plastic tank all over, and found out even though all the plastics like tank, fenders, side covers, front number plate, etc....were originally yellow, someone brush painted them yellow again, took my pressure washer and blew it all off with no problem, and underneath all the original color was still there as it was the molded color and all perfect...couldn't understand why they did do that anyway...just dumb PO I guess! ohmy.gif

But also the seat cover was also originally yellow, but they painted it black, although the original yellow is showing through again from wear from the PO riding it, I have been unable to get the black off....tried everything to remove the rest of the black paint, Just will have to get it recovered I guess!

And like you after I blasted off all the yellow painted plastic, had a pile of dried pieces of yellow paint all over my drive way and yard and the wind was blowing it everywhere....and its still there even after I tried to pick up most of it! sad.gif ....But guess my Yard mowing guy will eventually take care of that issue! wink.gif

EdgarGe

#6 Post by EdgarGe »

QUOTE (Wisteech @ May 7 2017, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a few rides the red came chipping through. On the https://www.grosseteste.com/bathmate-review-results Bathmate review side the rear fender is the FX400 red and still in great shape.

I wish I had read this before I painted the plastic lol.