Keith Johnson's Factory race bike!....NOT!

promod

#1 Post by promod »

Seen this posted on eBay this morning with the owner claiming it to be Keith Johnson's factory 2002 race bike!

Can anyone else tell me why it is not and what in the details gives it away?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/182960742242?

Ciao! MW

bigfoot17

#2 Post by bigfoot17 »

It is a beauty. Not being a Cannondale expert. I would not be able to see the difference.
Wistech , Kdeal or Boomer probably already have the answer.

4motoman

#3 Post by 4motoman »

He raced in 2000

promod

#4 Post by promod »

QUOTE (4motoman @ Dec 14 2017, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He raced in 2000

Correct!...But there is more!

Keith started racing Yamaha's in 2001!

Keith raced very early C'Dale preproduction MX400 Bikes from mid '99-late '00 in various stages of development, Both engine (at 400cc WJ style engine and 432cc early version!), Chassis (using a lot of diff components and configurations!) and Bodywork (which body work was one piece as radiator shrouds and side panels were one unit on most of His bikes!) were also different and was basically hired by C'Dale to race them for product testing...And His bikes were supplied to Him from Cannondale direct...Not a dealer as listing also states!

If you note on that listing which shows the title and VIN, That bike is a 2002 X440S unto which someone installed new complete with all factory stickers and warning labels 2001 MX400 Red plastics on it!

The race results the sellers listing pics shows are also from 2000, But the seller claims that Bike listed was raced in that race!, So how could He have raced a 2002 bike in 2000?

But as MR. FOOT stated "It is a beauty"....And to Me looks to be in great condition!....Which also Keith was hard on His race bikes and that Bike almost looks mint!

Keith and I are good Friends and I also sent Him that listing for giggles!

Ciao!....And sorry 4motoman no prizes for answer from Me....But MR. FOOT will take care of you on that with a cash prize! LOL!

PS: Also if someone on this forum listed this bike my apologies to them!, But they should have done a little homework on what they were told by whomever they bought it from before they made that listing claim on eBay about that Bike!

4motoman

#5 Post by 4motoman »

You have Gipsons bike, don't you??

promod

#6 Post by promod »

QUOTE (4motoman @ Dec 14 2017, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have Gipsons bike, don't you??

Yes, One of Gibson's, ...As He had 3 I know of!...Or let me say what's left of it...But received it in almost complete condition!...Although motor was toast and had a lot of special race parts on it along with the chassis!

Got it all disassembled and plans are to rebuild and sorta restore it one day (if I live long enough!) as far as motor goes,...But yet still leave in the used and raced condition as like He had just raced it...Don't wanna take away to much of the history of it!

Also have a early race motor and few other chassis parts that's were used on one of Keith's early bikes the factory sent me after it was scrapped out...way back in the day!

Ciao! MW

4motoman

#7 Post by 4motoman »

Let me know if you want to sell!

bigfoot17

#8 Post by bigfoot17 »

Thanks for the history lesson Mike. I did look it up and found a picture of Keith racing. The clutch cover looked like that "smooth " cover on some early bikes.

[attachment=13990:Cannondale_1486_7.jpg]

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/look-back-ol...annondale-mx400

WOW pure hate . A simple decision to not make the MX model right away maybe could have saved the company . Of course had they built just the quads they most likely would be a dominant force in the industry . Hindsight is 20/20 .

Rally2

#10 Post by Rally2 »

Yeah they sure slayed the poor Cannondale in that article, to paraphrase "abysmal reliability, catastrophic failures, faulty electronics, exploding transmission, absurd overall weight, wallowing and banging, bad decisions and poor set up, unforgiving to the point of harshness, In the end, it became a victim of its own overreaching ambition". Makes me like mine even more smile.gif