I guess Im more sensative than most.

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

I started repairing instrument clusters when my speedo quit working on my avalanche. It drove me nuts and within 2 days I ripped it apart to replace the drive motors for the needles. Ive done hundreds of them for some local car shops over the years but this one just blows my mind. This guy was driving his truck with 6 of the 7 needles just spinning around at random for years. The only quage that still worked was the fuel level. This is a pic of the cluster with the key on . When started it made me dizzy watching them go up and down making grinding noises.

MX Quad Dad

#2 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I have done a few. am to cheap to pay a few hundred dollars for a used cluster. so I bought some stepper motors off ebay for about $3 each. not very hard to install.
I don't recall ever seeing one spin like that.

I do have a problem with my 05 silverado though. in the area were the odometer is, the set up from the steering wheel buttons displays there also and mine will randomly change, language mostly and it will not respond to the buttons when it is having its fits. I read online about some sort of mold on the circuit board and just needs to be brushed off. Someday I may try to clean it

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Mostly the prndl display resistors get cracks in the solder joints and need to be reflowed. The DIC data displays have similar issues. If you take the face plate off of the cluster and turn it on you can many times find the crack or bad parts by gently pushing on parts of the board and watch to see if the display reacts. Cracked resistors give themselves away because heat will discolor the board around them. When I do a cluster I replace all the bulbs as well. You can by kits pretty cheap that have all the motors and bulbs from local parts stores now.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Some needles have a stopper pin but some can just spin round and round . blink.gif

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I guess I was just wondering if they would spin because of bad input (maybe currant flowing over dirty circuit board?). The stepper motors I have replaced just stopped moving. never seen one spin. although guy at work hooked up a battery charger backwards on a dead battery and toasted the cluster. at least that's what the other mech. said.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Ive never heard of a good explanation on what is actually going bad in the motors themselves. The ones I have taken apart all look fine. Many you can tell just by moving the needle with your finger that they are notchy and loud and can be very annoying to listen to while driving.. Gm redesigned them several times . The x27168 are the latest revision.