5 years later the barn beast is back

wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

Well my first experience with this quad was very close to 5 years ago. It came from a local shop with a no run. Here is the thread. http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...1&hl=rotten We went through it to do a basic update new crank,and port job. It was run for a few months till the owner ran into some "difficulties" and it ended up sitting in a shed for a few years . When it was accessable again he needed cash so I purchased it . Of course I have no room for another quad so I borrowed it out back 3 years ago to another Daler to be used as a template for building his quad. Unfortunatly it ended up spending the last few years in a barn collecting all sorts of dirt. Yesterday I decided to retrieve it and I spent the day giving it a total scrub down, drained the varnish from the fuel tank and this is the result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrUpbDSz2s The battery took a charge and the fuel pump loosened up and flowed fuel. Unfortunatly when it fired it blasted a disgusting cloud of rotten gas fumes filled with oil spray all over my moto. Looks like it needs a cyclone II intake and coolant rezzy with a set of plastic and it should be good to go. I remember we did go through the chassis with all new bearings ,rod ends,chain and other repairs. I think I will run it for a while and see how it goes. I will most likely have to sell it as I still have no room and have other projects to fund. I hope I dont die on it as it has Cannibal suspension not really safe with this kind of power. Now that I think about it there are some west virginia trails it might be perfect for.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

The frame is still creamy . Just needs a little TLC.

Imback

#3 Post by Imback »

Awesome!! Pretty nice for a barn find hahaha . I was expecting the worst 😅

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

OK I scrounged up some Cannibal plastic and heel guards to make it a proper quad and hit the trails. The good news it was a blast . There is just something more satisfying about a ported 432 cranking out full power that I dont get from the 505 which just rockets you to insane speeds with little effort. Anyway I thrashed it for an hour and it performed . The bad news is the starter one way has the scratchy noise which means its slipping. I will be pulling the engine to replace it and if the piston or sleeve looks iffy its getting a 460 kit. I have several options now to choose from . We shall see how the cams have faired as well as I believe we installed dlc buckets.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Kind of slacked off today as its my last day of vacation but I did manage to get the patient on the healing bench.

Imback

#6 Post by Imback »

Looking good, Glad see you bring another one back to life

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Imback @ Jul 13 2019, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking good, Glad see you bring another one back to life

Well I think I better do something with all these machines otherwise they will just just be scrap metal when Im gone.

OK the covers are off and the cams and buckets look like new . Everything on the tranny side looks good. If anyone wants to know what the cam timing should look like I can post pics when I get it back together.

Imback

#8 Post by Imback »

Pretty clean in there that's for sure!!

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Well the one way was trashed . It looks like the spring ground up into a load of pieces and thats what the magnetic sight glass was catching. Some of the pieces got flung up into the piston and scored the skirts. The sleeve is actually pretty good. SO I guess Ill have to make it a 460 motor. tongue.gif For anyone rebuilding always make sure to check the one way bearing and hub . The hubs should always be replaced or remachined. The rollers are sliding on that surface all the time so if its rough it will wipe out a new bearing very quickly. As an aside I do remember when I bought the quad they were trying to start it with a tank of rotten fuel. It was hooked to a truck and they cranked the living snot out of it till the massive quantity of fuel in the muffler blew and split it wide open.

Starquestjoe

#10 Post by Starquestjoe »

I finally figured out what was my no start issue. Stupid me replaced the buckets and exh cam and never checked valve shim clearance. Exh should be .014 to .016......wait for it......cant even fit a .008 under them. You send it best these quads are earned.