Got some paddles

Mjollnir

Got some paddles

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

Well, I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered me some paddles. I was really torn between getting the extreme haulers for straight-line and a v-paddle for turning. Rocky Mountain didn't have any Extremes in stock for a 10 inch wheel though, so I went with 8-paddle Edges, 20x10x10 on 9 inch wide .160 Douglas'. I hope this setup allows me to beat my friends' Banshees over Thanksgiving Weekend at Pismo!

I figured if I really wanted to go that fast in a straight line I would have gotten a DS or a 'shee. rolleyes.gif

-Marc

Mjollnir

#2 Post by Mjollnir »

LOL Tainted. I guess I can't have it all. Someone needs to come up with paddles that turn AND go fast in a straight line!

Mjollnir

#3 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by C-Dale rider
the kenda gekos (i think) are supposed to turn and go straight well.

dave

Yeah, I read that ad too. wink.gif

Really, I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions, and found that the DS650 guys are generally a great source of info for paddle tire stuff, since those bikes are generally made for the dunes. I think it's a pretty good point of reference - the DS is a big, powerful four-stroke, so it translates better to the 'dale than the millions of opinions yuou can get from banshee riders.

Generally, the opinion of the Geckos was that they are mostly hype, though not a "bad" tire by any means. The most popular paddle, by FAR, is the Skat-Trak Extreme Hauler. I decided on the Edge due to the weight savings of a vulcanized paddle, and the generally agreed-upon concept that a v-paddle will handle better than a straight paddle.

You know, all this makes me think that a tech article on paddle tires might not be such a bad idea... I did a lot of research, so I would be able to put together a pretty nice summary of what I found, though first-hand experience is always better, at least a summary of information available from various sources would be a nice thing for people to refer to. Hmmm....

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Bummer about the Gecko's, that was the tire I was going to get. What was the major complaint? they dont hook up?

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

Problem w/ most paddles is they are to aggressive and/or to heavy. Just go to a dealer and look and pick some of those slugs up. Remember your motor is turning all that dead weight. Your best value is Sand Devils by FAR!! Not the best, but the Best Value. A good paddle that's not to aggresive or overly heavy that will last forever...

Mjollnir

#6 Post by Mjollnir »

Lap, the general complaint about the Gecko was that they are different, but just don't work as advertised. I say, if you like 'em, get 'em. If you do a search on "paddle tires" over at atvconnection, there's a ton of info...

Sandstorm - true about that. That's why I went with the edges - they're the lightest by far, and everything I heard is that the vucalnized paddles will last longer. We shall see, I suppose. I thought about the sand devils, but more than one person said that after 2-4 runs, they were chunking paddles.

Marc

Sandstorm

#7 Post by Sandstorm »

No no no it's the other way around, you're Edge's will last two years TOPS!! Sand Devils last forever.. You bought a V blade anyway so you can't compare the two..

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

I'll go do the search.

anyone got a picture of sand devils? are the V tires?

What about fronts? does it matter?

Mjollnir

#9 Post by Mjollnir »

Originally posted by LapTraffic
I'll go do the search.

anyone got a picture of sand devils?  are the V tires?

What about fronts?  does it matter?

There are pics of sand tires all over the magazines, sand devils included. Or Rockymountainatv.com has pictures of them. I plan on getting fronts eventually, but I haven't yet. I'll get the ones with the ridge down the center rather than the smooth buffs. Some people like having the fronts, others don't, it's kind of a matter of personal preference.