extended axle VS. spacers ??

acarli3

extended axle VS. spacers ??

#1 Post by acarli3 »

What, if any is the difference between buying an extended rear axle OR buying spacers? Spacers seem to be much cheaper than a new rear extended axle.

What about the front? I am seeing companies make front spacers as well. Is this a good alternative versus aftermarket a-arms? What are the pros and cons here?

REW440

#2 Post by REW440 »

I know putting spacers in the rear will make your stock axle bend alot easer. I would not put spacers in the rear if I was jumping over 2 foot high. Just my .02 worth, hope this helps.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

has anyone ever bent a stock axle with or with out spacers? ive had spacers on mine for a year and been to a mx track several times and dunes . Still dead straight and I weigh 240. I have bent many a stock honda axle . It seems cannondale stock stuff was made strong from the get go.

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

I have run 1.5" rear spacers from day one. A couple of mx races and tons of times airing it out at the dunes. No problems..

dawzie

#5 Post by dawzie »

problem with using spacers on front or even flipping the rims for a wider offset is that it puts the center of the tire father away from the ball joints and makes steering real crazy. It also puts the tire father away from the shock mounting adding extra loads to it. Which means stronger springs and/or valving "may" be needed.

On the back it would be the issue of just adding extra stress to the axel and it bending.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Again I ask if anyone has ever broken or even bent a stock rear axle? And what did it take?

motorider68

bent axle

#7 Post by motorider68 »

I bent the stock axle on my moto, but i over shot a step up so bad I dont even know how far to much. But the quad cart wheeled about 5 times and landed back on its wheels. It poped 3 tires off the rim and bent my axle that was it. I bought a lonestar and gave my friend my bent axle, he MX's too, he straightened it and hasn't bent it yet so it seems to be a real tough axle. I am sure had I been on my 250R that night I would have been buying a frame and hard to tell what else.

Good luck,
Ryan
I would buy and axle though they are worth it!

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

wow

Ryanstones

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

double wow

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

Triple WOW!!! :wow

Actually I was there, didn't see the wreck (he was behind me) but I did see all the dust and the bike carwheeling on that lane of the track. I thought he was dead or something.
Hey Ryan, give me a call, maybe you can hook up with us at Hatfield tomorrow. It would be kinda nice to have another Cannondale there. We are serving Honda Pie around 10:30 am.