The Horror The Horror

wistech

The Horror The Horror

#1 Post by wistech »

Ok get this , a short while ago I stripped out a rear wheel hub and while I was waiting for the new ones to arrive I installed a 400ex one off the shelf.Last week I was riding through a tunnel under a railroad track and the tunnel was about 100 years old ,made of brick. It tapered to where my quad barely fit before but with the 400ex hub I was about 3/4 inch wider. I was cruising through it in first gear and when I came to the end BAM!! My quad was wedged in. We pried it out and I had some damage to my wheels but they still held air so We contunued to ride. Yesterday we were hammering some really nasty rough trails when my swingarm pivot bolt snapped off by the threads. Coincedence? I think not. I would like to know if anyone has ever repaired thier swingarm pivot bolts by drilling them out and installing a stud in them. Or if someone might happen to have a spare I would like to purchase it. Thanks. Wistech The adventure continues.

:head:

bouncerdude

#2 Post by bouncerdude »

i wouldnt put a stud through the bolt. that would seem to put too much stress on a smaller bolt. id try to buy one or see if you can get a bolt somewhere else and "cusotomize" it to fit. do you know any machinists? it wouldnt be that hard to make one up.

pdavis

#3 Post by pdavis »

do you know the size of it, by chance?

jfarrar

#4 Post by jfarrar »

wisetech...was it the hollow bolt or the solid bolt?i heard alot about the hollow ones snapping but never any solid ones.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

The nut is an m20 from the dale parts list. I would never install a smaller stud but the pivot bolt is hollow and I think you could drill and tap it out to accept a stud of the same size. I could probably turn a new bolt on my lathe but I would be concerned about strength and heat treating.
The bolt broke off just behind the nut so now its about 1 inch to short . There were 2 different bolt types?

EuroGOD

#6 Post by EuroGOD »

Yup, a solid and a hollow version.
I'd put the snapping down to possible fatigue or overtightening. Have you had the bolt out or replaced the swingarm bearings lately?
Which side was the nut on?

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

The bolt has been in there since March of last year when i took the engine out for the stud update. It was a clean break so I would guess fatigue finally got to it. We are getting close to 300hours . I am getting the feeling the engine will last forever but the rest off the quad will wear out . I bet many of you wish you had my petty problems.

haydug

swingarm bolts??

#8 Post by haydug »

I have a few of them, some are brand new, others like new. $35 each shipped. They retailed for like $79 or something.
I can send it out tomorrow

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

I've got a couple spares, both types.

PM me and we'll work something out

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Thanks guys , now which ones are stronger . Was there a supplier change or updated one.