reliability of dales?

cdrookie

#1 Post by cdrookie »

start reading, it's all on here!:deal: you can't compare a 400ex to a cannibal in the hp dept.:usa

thomez

#2 Post by thomez »

If it isn't completely upgraded and is an 03 and you don't have a grand to fix it, I wouldn't buy it. Some are very reliable others don't last a day before trouble. The good thing is that you can get them very cheap - so you have money extra for these things. If all you have is the 3 or 4k to get one, hold off and save more. I don't want to tell you all is peachy and then it go on you in 2 weeks and you don't have anything to ride.

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

the maintenance is very high compared to your ex. dales aren't for everyone. no offence or anything but it doesn't sound like they are right for you. where are you located? if anybody is local to you i'm sure they would meet you at a riding area and discuss the pros/cons of owning one. why are you considering one if not for the hp?

thomez

#4 Post by thomez »

Nope, I'd rather have an early 02 over anything. 03 was wishy washy.

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

like thomez said, some are good some are bad. no way of telling. the early 02's with the clutch cables were the best from what they've been saying. if it has over 40 or so hours on it and hasn't broke, it's probably good, as they usually break quickly, if at all. still an 03 will require a motor mount update(cheap)and you will want a d&m kit, for mapping changes and maint($250-300). a stage 8 is reasonableat around 80-100 but a little labor intensive if you're not mechanically inclined.

CdaleRacer0128

#6 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

Originally posted by thomez
Nope, I'd rather have an early 02 over anything. 03 was wishy washy.

this is very true, and ify ou race mx and want a very nicely set up mx quad check out PEp_250R's quad forsale in the forsale forum or wherever it isposted

that is don lysinger's old quad who races pRo - am and it is a very early 02 with the alluminum valve cover, tpi case ( before all the problems) no updates, and plenty ofh ours to ensure its a good deal:p

CdaleRacer0128

#7 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

dont worry about modding a 400ex theres been literally a gazillion 400ex's modded to h e ll and have no problems..from 406 kits to 505 kits..they all run great

call up curtis sparks or duncan racing or someone who knows their stuff with 400ex engines ( which is basically everyone) they are so easy to mod out.:cool: good luck, sorrry to hear that the dale bug hasn't bit you in the butt like it did to so many of us..

cannibalq8

#8 Post by cannibalq8 »

i recommend that u have another quad if u want to buy a cannondale ... i belive there is NO WAY to make that quad like honda or even yamaha sad.gif

Jumbo747

#9 Post by Jumbo747 »

i had close to 300 good hours (with my trailtech speedometer) on my 400ex last year riding trails & roads & stuff....will the cannondale be able to do this without blowing up? Are the engines easier to work on than a 400ex's?

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

I got to laugh at the statement about not wanting to spend a $1000 to fix it if it blew up. Would you have any problem coughing up $5000 to make a 400ex perform like a cannondale? LOL

And by the way I put 1500 miles on my Speed in feb which made it break 300 hours total and have only pulled the engine to do the updates. I never got around to doing a valve adjustment yet. I stripped a wheel hub,broke a shock bolt and swingarm pivot bolt,worn out throttle cable.

A friend of mine has a 400ex with almost as many hours on it. His only problems were seized axle bearings ,bad front shocks and high oil consumtion.(K&N air filters are a no no in wisconsins dirty trails)