Should I consider a Cannondale?

Jaybr

#1 Post by Jaybr »

Being the admin here, I hate to give you bad news, but

Basically, there are good ones and there are bads ones, the trick is finding one of the good ones. There where some manufacturing problems that effect the motors and cause the cranks to grenade. Of course, when this happens it requires a complete rebuild. The good thing is that there are solutions to the problem if your willing to spend the time and money.

As far as the kids riding it. I can't say wether your kids can handle one or not, but I will tell you my 15 year old doesn't ride mine too often. He rides a 400ex and will be racing a Mojave this year, both have a ton of mods done to them, he also rides my AC 500 all the time. The Cannondale is a race bred machine and can be a handfull, not exactly built for putting around the trails. If you like ripping up the trails, it's a fine machine.

That being said, there are several guys on here around the same age as your kids that ride Dales, and I've yet to hear of any of them having any major crashes or getting hurt.

I'll probably get banned for this post:cry:

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Rocky terrain is no problem at all, probably the strongest stock frame out there.

I wouldn't be worried about a 100hr rebuild, I've probably got 200+ hrs on one of mine and all I've done is adjust the valves a couple times.

Just make sure you do all the updates, and my personal opinion is look for an early 02 model.

tjusa

buy the c-dale

#3 Post by tjusa »

If your boys have been riding for sometime now and you are comfertable with them as riders Then look through the four sale on here and buy them a dale with updates already done there are alot of nice ones going for less then half of new . I dont race but my family runs a trail system for bikes and quads and my c-dale is a awsum woods bike for ripping around the trails !!! They are high maintnace bike but well worth the effort and alot of fun :usa

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

BSB, this is Ryanstones boy(14) on my Speed. They sure are fun:)

[img]http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=29801[/img]

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

I've got a starter map you could use, mildest map I had and I lowered the rev limit. Rev limit kicks in shy of the front end coming all the way over:(

cdrookie

#6 Post by cdrookie »

let us know next time you're at tower city. there's probably more dales in pa than any other state! if i'm able to come up you guys can take mine down the turnpike and thru the woods.

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by bsb64
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies. Man, you guys are OK, I'm taking note of all opinions, thanks.

cdrookie, TC is probably pretty well snowed in, LOL. But I'll take you up an the offer in the spring, thanks.

Cdrookie and I were at Tower this past Saturday and all is well and not even that muddy. We had a blast zipping around up there.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

I would also add that I have had my dale up there stock many times and no damage except to tires. The stock swing arm skid is pretty tough. no my Z has taken some beatings up there though.

Ryanstones

#9 Post by Ryanstones »

My first year on the Cannon every weekend was near trouble free. Then i got a new engine (not by choice) and she has been near trouble free again for a year. There are some higher wear parts, like all quads, like ball joints/tie rods. but less than most jap quads i think. Dales are tough quads.

I'm not suggesting it's the best choice for everybody, but if a person can afford the time and money to fix a engine failure, then they are a real viable choice. And of course, they are supremely cool.

there's no age restrictions in my book, just judgement and ability. My son has ridden mine occasionally since 11, and has started riding a bit harder in the last year. We will probably have another set up for MX sometime this year.

CANNIBALKID

#10 Post by CANNIBALKID »

that pic is sick:head: