Fuel Problems??

Speed 1B

Fuel Problems??

#1 Post by Speed 1B »

i have a problem with my Speed. When i turn the key and kick the fuel pump on the pump whines and screeches. I just replaced the pump. Once i get it started(it starts fairly easily) the idle rises and falls pretty rapidly. It never gets better as the machine gets warmer. If i crack the gas it seems fine. But the second you hold the throttle open at a constant rpm it sputters bogs and backfires. It is unrideable as well. My best guess is a fuel line has a hole and it is sucking air, or the pressure regulator is bad. Does anyone else have any ideas?

bouncerdude

#2 Post by bouncerdude »

maybe the speed connectors for the gas tank, the hoses on my quad seem pretty flexible, im not sure how prone to drying out they are.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

Have you checked the o-rings in the fuel fitting?

It sounds like the pump is having trouble sucking in fuel, so I think your on the right track with the fuel line.

Is it an 03 tank with both fittings up top? Have you looked in the tank to make sure the little hose that runs from the fitting to the bottom of the tanks is still connected and not clogged?

Brad77

#4 Post by Brad77 »

I agree with Jay,

Those o-rings are more than likely the problem. The pump will make a screeching noise when it can't get enough fuel.

Also, maybe a longshot but make sure the fuel filter is clean maybe something caught in there blocking some of the flow.

rope83

#5 Post by rope83 »

my speed was doing that and after i gave Thomez a call ..... i replaced the fuel filter and she ran fine

Speed 1B

#6 Post by Speed 1B »

Replaced O rings and filter when i first got these symptoms and they didnt hlelp. Then i tried the pump. that wasnt the fix either. Im really thinking regulator. Are these likely symptoms for that? Im also thinking one of those lines has a hole. I think ill put a guage on those lines.