ATK says Zero Failures on the New ATK/Dale

kdeal

ATK says Zero Failures on the New ATK/Dale

#1 Post by kdeal »

Check out the article in the August 2004 edition of ATV Rider (page #14) QUOTE:

ATK/Cannondale Update

We spoke to ATK's Frank White about how his Cannondale project is going. Apparently, the company is now releasing units under its own badge (www.atkusa.com), but these aren't the same old machines with a different sticker slapped on the tank. ATK offers what is calls its "Reliability Kit"; the company claims to have had zero failures since it released the new units. Here is what you get:

The engines have undergone extensive tweeking--each has been gone through and revamped considerably, then blueprinted (an 8 hour process, we've been told).

A balanced crankshaft helps reduce engine vibration.

The motor also comes with a new longer-lasting piston and cylinder liner (which also bumps displacement to 449cc). The liner & piston have 3 times the life when compared with the stocker.

The stock Cannondale powerplant tended to fall flat on it's face when shifting between 4th and 5th gear. ATK has modified the tranny with a new closer gear ratio between 4th & 5th gear, so it pulls harder.

The shifting mechanism has also been modified, so it's easier to shift and find neutral.

Some tweeking has been done between the fuel injection system and the electronics for improved reliability.

Various engine components have been modified to be quieter (the stocker rattled quite a bit).

Oil flow has been modified, so certain engine components get more oil.

New fasteners and longer engine bolts improve reliability (and ATK has used loctite on all the engine bolts to make sure the engine is as reliable as can be).

Excuse my typing if I misspelled anything.

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

It was my understanding from local sources here in Florida that when ATK bought up Cannondales parts that 90% of the cranks were not in spec. They then shipped them to someone to repair, (my source said Falicon, but I believe it was with Wade Wilcox somehow). The best source for how well this is working is Jeff @ the Quad shop. He is doing extremely well with his Cannondale er...ATK. You should ask him what his problems have been so far....

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Here is something to chew on. With many phone calls and time speaking to several different people. I have come up with this. Originally they went to Falicon and Falicon worked the cranks. They have since found a local vendor who is doing the same work as falicon only cheaper. Wade is not that guy. Call Frank White at ATK. I have seen the statement before that if a motor goes because of the ATK crank they will fix it free. I would call though and make sure how that would apply to you personally!

Sandstorm

#4 Post by Sandstorm »

It's no secret my motor has had titanium valve issues along w/ JFarrer. My valves were floating. My motor was built by Wade at South Bay. My motor had an unbalanced crank after I returned it to Wade for my valve issue. Unbalanced cranks weren't known when this motor was originally built by Wade at SB.. Wade checked my crank and balanced it. I requested a head w/ stock compression and reangled injectors w/ no titanium valves. He delivered. I have about 6 **** hard rides running monster bowls and huge dunes at constant redline w/ ZERO issues. Jorday who I ride with has an ATK 450 motor built by ATK w/ the knowledge from Wade. ZERO problems also.. No they don't have 100hrs on them, but give us time they will.

Frank White

#5 Post by Frank White »

To date (As far as I know) we have had NO failures on our new re-designed motors.

I'm sure in the future there will be some that will have problems. We are not perfect, however, we strive to do the best we can.

We had two or three engines go out where the case leaked oil due to a casting flaw, however, these were sent back and were fixed.

The Quad shop had a recent warranty issue on a 450 ATV they purchased 3-4 months ago that we stood behind.

I hope this clears up some issues.

Frank White
ATK

Ryanstones

they got the parts, they gots the know how

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

to keep us running for a long time. I'm thrilled to hear of ATK's success.
:usa

Cannondale is not ever coming back, but with ATK, and the other very smart, very committed 'dalers out there we will get through these issues just like we got through all the ones before.

bknight

Re: they got the parts, they gots the know how

#7 Post by bknight »

Originally posted by Ryanstones
to keep us running for a long time. I'm thrilled to hear of ATK's success.
:usa

Cannondale is not ever coming back, but with ATK, and the other very smart, very committed 'dalers out there we will get through these issues just like we got through all the ones before.

can we have a aman :clap: :clap:

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by DIRT
oh god I didnt want to start a meow meow  meow thing here.Sorry i'm done posting I thought i had a valid point on the crank thing and well no one ever answered the question ever really.So now its answered So what about our C-dales well as far as ATK and their sight thats way over priced in my book but thats my opinion again come on look at those prices.It would cost me a little over 2000 for a crank and a 450 kit if my motor blew up

I'll agree that prices for motors are way overpriced. I spent a ton on mine this winter and it still isn't right. I have also seen other quads motors have similar problems and cost just as much. It doesn't make sense about pricing, but it isn't just expensive for cannondales it is all over. I hope I don't sound like an azz or something. I can tell you are concerned and care so I am giving you as much information as I have, because I know how it feels when people say I know something, but can't say. Hope I helped. If you want any more information just ask if I don't know I am sure someone else does.smile.gif

465stroker

#9 Post by 465stroker »

Originally posted by DIRT
How can you say that... not for nothing and Jeff no disrespect but do you really think someone who is sponsered by ATK is going to really say anything bad about the product.Sorry just putting things into real life here.The cranks fail if anyone can post anything on this its Jeff where did they go Falicon or Wade Wilcox....this is what I ment no one is clear but some people say they know whats goin on.Well share it with the rest of us who have the quads and yes I'm pushing an issue thats another reason why I didnt buy Ricks quad.He wrote it was too much quad for his wife yet he told me it was going for a 450 kit.Ummmm sounds to me like him and his wife went to a yamaha for a reason!! GL Rick sorry but there was alot more than that too ......but it wasnt you sorry man.

DIRT -
The only reason I say it was too much for my wife was that she did not like the layout. The YFZ450 is much smaller and fits her better plus ALba Actionsports wanted her on a YFZ. Also - I know that the motor in my quad is 100% reliable since it was a factory RACE motor with all the updates including metal oil gears, updated clutch, stud kit, 4&5th gearing, etc. and has well over 80 hours on it with no problems - it's solid. The only reason I switched was because my sponsors wanted me on a current production quad.

Thanks
Rick Cecco

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by 465stroker
DIRT -
The only reason I say it was too much for my wife was that she did not like the layout.  The YFZ450 is much smaller and fits her better plus ALba Actionsports wanted her on a YFZ.  Also - I know that the motor in my quad is 100% reliable since it was a factory RACE motor with all the updates including metal oil gears, updated clutch, stud kit, 4&5th gearing, etc. and has well over 80 hours on it with no problems - it's solid.  The only reason I switched was because my sponsors wanted me on a current production quad.  

Thanks
Rick Cecco

Rick, it also has to be simpler to work on one style of quad rather than two all the time also. Correct? I know that I am thrilled to death that my wife has chosen to ride a Cdale. I am happy to see her on one. And I am also happy to only have to work on one style. It requires less tools and less spare parts this way.