What are the odds?

LapTraffic

What are the odds?

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

Was riding this weekend and was really enjoyin it, flyin!

Towards the end of the day I was in the lead and a freind on a YZ 250 was behind. I took him up a particularly nasty hill. Kinda technical, lotta loose big rocks to avoid. I took the hill in second and sailed to the top missing all the big rocks.

When my friend got to the top he stopped, then pointed at my front left tire. It was completely flat.

****, I didnt feel a hit hard enough for a pinch flat, I wonder what happened. It was getting late so we all packed it up and headed home.

At home I put some air in the tire and started looking for the leak. I could hear it leaking pretty good but after 5 minutes I still could find no hole in the rubber...

Because there wasnt a hole in the 'tire'

Evidently, going up the hill, I picked up a small rock on the inside of the rim. It spun around in there and eventually wedged between the brake caliper and the rim wall. The rock must have exploded because I never noticed the front lock up, but before it did it put a pretty decent size hole in the rim.

Ordering douglas 190's today from Rocky mountain with 6ply razrs on them. Didnt have time to dig into the caliper... I dont imagine it can be good though.

Honda fronts are the same right?

Will the douglas 190s (standard) be tougher than these stock ITP's?

Knight440

#2 Post by Knight440 »

Lap that is kinda weird,,,, But anyway the honda fronts will fit but different off set this will make your front end narrower (sp) I would ask Jeff@quadshop what the right offset is for the Dale.

I know the rears had a different off set, but didn't think the fronts did till i put my dale rims on my EX and Noticed how wide it was in the front.

hope this Helps............John

JeffQuadShop

#3 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Ya, the front offset on the Dale is wider than the Honda. Running Honda fronts will narrow it up by a little over 1". You have to remove a little bit of the lip off the upper arm to mount them. Its no big deal tho.

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Would I be able to specify the proper offset to Rocky mountain to get normal wheels? I dont want to get it any narrower.

What is the wheelsize and offset for stock rims on the cannibal?

Thanks!

Redman

#5 Post by Redman »

I think it is 3-2. 3 being the inside. I assume you are getting the plain douglas rims around $50 bucks a piece. They are basically the same thing. If you want strength go with Douglas Ultimate Conventional rolled edge rims. They run $89 from rocky mountain, even cheaper if you get tires with them.

Ryanstones

#6 Post by Ryanstones »

seriously lap, that was unlucky! aint much difference in the douglas 190's though. better spend more money!

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

Brutha helpin a brutha, I can do that, PM me the price wink.gif

How does a 4-1 help reduce bump steer? I thought it had to do with the length of the tie rod being longer than the A arm and through suspension travel the tie rod pushes the back of the wheel out causing more toe in. I could be wrong though.

Thanks guys!

JeffQuadShop

#8 Post by JeffQuadShop »

The 4+1's do reduce bump steer! Its hard for me to explain. The more offset the front wheels has is like adding leverage to the spindle making it easier for the wheels to wonder around when hitting bumps if that makes any since.

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

I believe ya, you guys have about 14 billion times more experience than I do at this stuff, so 'more offset increases the effects of bumpsteer' (writes it down)

one question, on wheel offsets. Like 4-1 or 3-2. Is the first number the inside and the second number the outside? Is it ratios of the overall width of the wheel? Like a 10" wheel being divided into 4 equal parts?

Just curious, I see it tossed around a lot and dont know that I understand it very well.

Thanks!

JeffQuadShop

#10 Post by JeffQuadShop »

You got it! The first number is the inside and the second is the outside!:cool: