Just rode a YFZ

banzairx7

Just rode a YFZ

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

Got a chance to take my friends brandy new YFZ for a whip today. There are two things that really stick out as compared to my cdale. The first is its size, its tiny. I'm not a tall guy, 5' 9", and it was pretty cramped. The other is the low end power. The cdale just kills the YFZ in low end grunt. I was having to shift the YFZ a lot more to keep it from bogging. Once I got the revs up on the YFZ power felt about the same. I can say it felt much tighter. The steering and reaction to body movements felt quicker on the YF.

The one thing I really liked about the YFZ was the thin gas tank area. I wish my bike was that thin up front. I'll just have to keep dreaming about that fullbore kit...

JST

#2 Post by JST »

I have yet to ride a YFZ,but a friend has the Honda and the power is near the same from mid on up.But it is really lacking in the throttle response.

sillysspeed

Re: Just rode a YFZ

#3 Post by sillysspeed »

Originally posted by banzairx7
Got a chance to take my friends brandy new YFZ for a whip today. There are two things that really stick out as compared to my cdale. The first is its size, its tiny. I'm not a tall guy, 5' 9", and it was pretty cramped. The other is the low end power. The cdale just kills the YFZ in low end grunt. I was having to shift the YFZ a lot more to keep it from bogging. Once I got the revs up on the YFZ power felt about the same. I can say it felt much tighter. The steering and reaction to body movements felt quicker on the YF.

The one thing I really liked about the YFZ was the thin gas tank area. I wish my bike was that thin up front. I'll just have to keep dreaming about that fullbore kit...

you need a 250r conversion!! :usa

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

I'd think about the 250r conversion if it held more than a gallon of gas. I'm also not to hot on lowering the seat.

Sort of back on topic the YFZ seat is higher than the cdale. I actually liked the seat up a bit higher. The yamahas pegs are up really high, thats what gives it the cramped feel. The pegs could easily be moved down 1-2 inches.

Oh and watch out for the exhaust pipe. Its really close to your knee/calf and hot as ****. My friends boots show a little bit of melting from it. Cannondale had it right. Air in the front, exhaust out the back. I think he will end up ceramic coating the pipe to keep the heat down.

CowsBitePeople

#5 Post by CowsBitePeople »

I rode one also, Didnt like it the seat was soo uncomfortable, and it felt like i was sittin on the bars:o

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Put a pipe and the free mods on YFZ and throttle response is greatly improved to say the least.Reminded me of a blaster size wise which I liked.Handling is different than anything I have ever ridden.

KYmxracer52

#7 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I rode a friends which had stock bars, and they actually hit my knees in the corners. I couldn't get it to hook up in the corners. He had a full HMF with Kenda Klaws and it still didn't have the throttle response of my Dale.

JST

#8 Post by JST »

I belive the throttle respone might get close to a Cannondale w/mods,but the F.I. is where all the throttle response comes from.

TheJaspMan

#9 Post by TheJaspMan »

I rode my brother in laws this weekend. The throttle response was really throwing me off on jumps. Nice machine though. One major differnce was in the whoops. I felt like I could fly through them on the YFZ. But that could have been the Elka suspension too.

I think someone makes a peg lowering kit for them. My BIL says the same thing about them being to high.

My wife sure likes it for the size. But she's 5'5".

KYmxracer52

#10 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I was really cramped on it. Im between 6'-1" and 6'-2". The 450R fits me better than the YFZ.