Question for you guys

DangerRanger

Question for you guys

#1 Post by DangerRanger »

How do you handle riding/racing, while most in your immeditate family(wife, her mother to be exact) constantly bi*ch about how much you ride or are gone even though they are invited to go along everytime?? Working three jobs, and saturday night and sunday being the only free days, I love to spend it riding but sometimes gets to much slack! ??any ideas, and I don't think trading "them" in on another dale is a solution? Sorry for the rant, jsut after the "

-Are you racing Sunday?
-Yes, why?
-Well remeber Dawson's dedication?
-Yeah, next sunday right?
-Well......they decided to move it to this sunday, and Scott and Michelle expect you to be there.
-Well..You do remeber that I was taking this weekend to go to the Mid-south right?
-Yeah, but this is important to them, and how would you feel if they didn't come to our dedication when we have a child?
-Well considering he will probably get baptized and dedicated in a creek crossing, they wouldn't be there anyways, so what's the big deal?
-You just don't understand
-Yes I perfectly understand, when it is their event, it takes preceidence over everything else, including God himself, but when I mention anything about this sport, they hak, and jest about "what a waste of time", so why should I waste my time??
-LONG SILENCE.... well I am sure you will decide what is important.

WTF!!!! to do?????

Ben
:mad:

JeffQuadShop

#2 Post by JeffQuadShop »

I give her schedules before the season starts and say "don't even think about planning anything on these weekends!" End of story!!!

Knight440

#3 Post by Knight440 »

Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I give her schedules before the season starts and say "don't even think about planning anything on these weekends!" End of story!!!

except having a baby:o tongue.gif

Simple you RACE you where willing to go on the first date they set! it's not your fault if they changed the date:mad:

JeffQuadShop

#4 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Originally posted by Knight440
except having a baby:o tongue.gif
This is true!!!

jcv440

#5 Post by jcv440 »

I go through the same crap! "what a waste of time", "what a waste of money", "what if you get hurt", "you don't win anything anyways".....

I ended up telling her to LAY OFF! Either deal with me riding/racing or get out. Because it wasn't changing. I got the "well, you weren't into it this much when we first met, and I don't like it!".... I showed her the door and told her to choose.

If she has any respect for you, bustin your butt to work all those jobs and stuff, then she'll give you your "YOU" time to do whatever you want and be alittle more understanding. But in return, she also gets some time. It's working out for us, I don't know if it'll work for you.

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

A quad addiction and a family are a hard thing to mix toegether!! I know first hand and I can feel your pain. My wife gets a little irritated about it too sometimes. Between maintenance, preparation, and riding, it takes a lot of time and money!
It's all up to you, we can't make your decision. I would definitely prefer to go riding. Heck, if that kids daddy was passionate about riding, I bet he would too! If your not careful, your girl will end up hating quads and that will never lead to a happy relationship. You'd never get a peaceful trip to the garage or riding! You two should sit down and talk about it. Sometimes, you've got to give a little- all depends on the situation. I've skipped a ride because of my wife's plans and I've skipped her plans to go ride. It works both ways. Got to pick your battles! My wife is more important to me than my quad and she doesn't expect me to give up my wants all the time. Good Luck with your decision!

I'm kinda' partial to the fact that they changed the date! You were willing with the date they originally set. If your presence was that important to them, they wouldn't have changed it.

justfine

hear ya homie

#7 Post by justfine »

My wife thinks the money and time could be better spent. I think it beats many of the alternatives. Like sitting in a bar all day or chasing tail or something. I think the money upsets her more than the time. My Honda and Yamaha upset her more because I was always having to dump money into them. A bumper, nerf bars, handlebars, axle, ect... Have not had to do anything to the Moto. I still think it was a good investment. Kick her in the JIMMY!!!!!

LapTraffic

#8 Post by LapTraffic »

My wife rides but does not have an equal passion for the sport.

"Whaddaya mean you dont wanna go ridin?!"

'It's rain mixed with snow out and I have a bad cold, I think I'm coughing blood..."

What can you do with emotionally flawed logic like THAT!?... women...

Anyway, It's a give and take, always. I try to communicate my intentions as much as possible. The WORST thing you can do is avoid the conversation, you're on a downward spiral if thats the case. If your discussions end in arguments then you need to talk more and work through that crap, unfortunately when that's the case, we end up talking less to avoid the conflict and in that grow apart... then Sancho comes smile.gif

Jimmer

#9 Post by Jimmer »

Its so nice to feel like I'm not the only one with this same problem. I also only have One day a week off so its hard to divide my time evenly between family and Quads. And when you have small children such as I do its even harder because its difficult to get them envolved because they are just flat out too little. And when they do go along you cant hall A$$ like you want. More than anything is that they feel like the money could be spent on more important things. I say this is important,but its hard to make them see things the way we do. In the end for your situation I say go to the family thing it will only happen once while you can go ride at pretty much anytime. In the end youll feel better because in a way you did something for someone else in a way and also now you will have leverage with the wife to go ride next time. "Well remember I redid my plans for you" . Also will make the inlaws think your a standup guy. Hope this helps.

LapTraffic

#10 Post by LapTraffic »

A family sometimes 'forces' a transition in us. From selfish (our normal state) to having to put others before us, namely our childeren.

Those who transition the easiest oft times make the best parents.

A bit off topic, but just something that flashed through when I read the above post.