Just when I though Ive seen it all.

wistech

Just when I though Ive seen it all.

#1 Post by wistech »

So I get this early 02 Cannibal in that apparently no dealer will touch. The owner says it blew up and the dealer had it for 4 months installing a brand new head,cams,balanced crank,bearings,new piston ,sleeve ect all from ATK. ($2300 just the parts) Apparently after they get it back together it wont start. So they mess around with it and finally give up. They give it back to the owner not running and say they wont charge for labor. A couple other guys check it out and its winds up in my hands.
I spend 5 minutes on it and discover the flywheel is grinding on the stator . I just assume the main bearing failed. So I pull the engine and rip it apart. This is what I find.
1 scavange pump thrust washer missing
2 Injector connector broken off
3 Main pump oil o rings missing
4Zero locktight on crank plate bolts
5 Flywheel side crank bearing race missing ...Yes Missing!!!
6 Flywheel magnets ground off of the inside of flywheel

Damm, Im glad they never got it started ,it would have blown chunks in just a few minutes. Im not going to say the name of the dealer because of possible litigation and its not the one C27 works at either. I feel embarassed for mechanics in general. I mean nobodys perfect (not even me) but this is crazy.

biggrin.gif

TheJaspMan

#2 Post by TheJaspMan »

It's sad. That is just crap service.

cdalemx301

#3 Post by cdalemx301 »

A local shop forgot to put some parts back in my dads warrior and blew up the top end when they started it guess who the made pay for it yes thats right we had to pay for the damge

USAMoto00

#4 Post by USAMoto00 »

Wow! Now that is scary.

Mjollnir

#5 Post by Mjollnir »

Wistech, that's nuts. Let me tell you my "now I've seen everything" story. Quick version - you know those bolts on a small block chevy head that are outside the valve cover, just above the exhaust ports? Saw the aftermath of a guy who didn't see those - they were covered in grease - and somehow managed to get the head off after removing only the 7 that were under the valve cover. Broke a cast iron head clean in half. It was unbelievable. We asked how he did it and he pointed toward a freakin wood splitting wedge. He got it between the head and the block and just went to town with a maul.

Stupid is as stupid does. Wis, can you at least tell us where this place is located so that people in that town might be able to PM in case they live there and need to know where to AVOID?

Marc

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

That reminds me, I went into our locall Honda shop onetime for something, and get called back into the service department to look at a 400ex. The mechanic was trying to start it, but it was popping, and backfiring. I told him I thought it was out of time. So, I go back up to parts and a few minutes later they go dragging it up the road trying to start it. Seems he had ran a new battery dead trying. He said "it's working it's way into starting". Well, I kinda laughed about it, then told the owner of the shop they should replace the guy's starter if and when they did get the bike up and running for the hours they had sit there and cranked it over. Then another mechanic took the topend off, and it was out of time, so he got it running, and low and behold the crank case started leaking oil. Back out with the motor.
Anyway, just because someone works at a bike shop, do not assume they are mechanics. :confused:

comander420

#7 Post by comander420 »

if you took a runing machine into a dealer and they replaced a bunch of parts and then they blew it up and tried to make you pay for it, you are not bitching near enough, take them to small claims court, if they are a dealer with a well known reputation the owner will more than likely try to pay you off before it gets that far.

cdalemx301

#8 Post by cdalemx301 »

we tried everything but court it was to much of a hassle for 300 dollars but we bitched and they kept blaing it on us

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

It's not engine related but my local dealer screws up a lot too. (Haydug knows the story) I brought my 450R in and well, another guy brought his in too that day. Both had tweaked stems but the other one had a bad starter coil or something and wouldn't start. So instead of checking to make sure they tore into mine and destroyed the keyswitch and everything and just wired it back together. They atleast offered to cover for the new switch but it's still on backorder.

jfarrar

#10 Post by jfarrar »

what does that have in common with any motor of mine?any prob i have had with any of my motors has not been an installation issue.