1989 250R Great Condition

Motoman440

1989 250R Great Condition

#1 Post by Motoman440 »

I need help on this one. There is an 89 250R for sale locally that I have been drolling over the last several months. I have only seen a picture of it in a local bike shop. Anyway, I finally got in touch with the guy today!!! This thing appears to be in excellent condition. Believe it or not this guy tells me that it hasn't been raced. He just re-did the whole top-end. Otherwise, this thing is almost bone stock from what I can tell. I'm going to see/ride it tomorrow. He asking $4,800.00. Now I need some opinions. Is this a good woods riding machine? Is the 89 motor the "good" motor? What is parts availablity for these things like? Do you think he's asking to much with no mods but in excellent shape as a stocker? Is there anyway I can tell if the bottom end is OK? I love the two-stroke power and have always wanted one of these things. I told my wife that Cannondale was on hold for now and I wanted something else to ride in the woods and save the Cannondale for the track. Her reply was "Whatever, your the finance guy of the family, I don't care." She's pretty cool about this stuff. Please give me some feedback.

Knight440

#2 Post by Knight440 »

ck with Jeff or Marty @ the Quadshop they should be able to help ya. 4800.00 to me seems to much for a bacisly stock R but if it's in great shape then it's well worth it! I sold my 86 for 3g's to a freind it was mostly stock but in good shape. wish i never did that:rolleyes:

Redman

#3 Post by Redman »

The 89 250r is awesome! Last year made. I never had a problem with mine. The motor is quite reliable and powerful. Easily get more power out of it. My old 89 250r was built when I bought it, but I added a more racey pipe and a 39mm carb. That made it fly. Parts are so easy to get. Ebay everybody sells them part by part. I think that is too much for a basically stock bike. Remember Honda sold them for $3000 brand new. Check the prices on the ones on atvtraderonline or ebay. Shop around for the best price.

jcv440

#4 Post by jcv440 »

Yeah, that's steep. I'd offer him $4000. Cash in hand works wonders....

justfine

too steep

#5 Post by justfine »

That is way too much. You could be on your way to building one for that much if you were a little handy and thrifty. 3500 (and that is still steep) at the most. When I say building I mean aftermarket stuff. Look on www.cycletrader.com for comparison. Don't know a ton about R's, but I know 89's are the best.