While You were ALL at the group ride...

cdalemx301

While You were ALL at the group ride...

#1 Post by cdalemx301 »

While you guys were all out riding having fun I decided to start the work on on my bike to get it ready for my axle and a-arms plus my weld job i need done....As of right now this is what the bike looks like...Yes i know its dirty but its to cold out to clean it haha... By nex weekend it should have my axle on it and i hope the aarms from the Jaspman show up by then... heres another more clear shot of my cracked swingarm also... .....Got a question one i got all the bolts off of the ball joints but how the heck do i seperate the ball joint from the spindle so i can put it on the new a arms...a

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

you will need a pickle fork, or somethin like jaybr posted in the um i dunno but some forum on here.. about a ball joint removal method

get a pickle fork from sears like 8 bucks works great

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Or a heavy Rubber mallet and a good whack does work too!

cdalemx301

#4 Post by cdalemx301 »

I dont need the balljoint out of the aarms but i need it out of the spindle so i can put the new spindle break rotor etc on the new aarms

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

I know what I meant! Whoooopa. Right on the spindle. Or you can take it over to the bench vise and use it as a press!

cdalemx301

#6 Post by cdalemx301 »

how would using it as a press work u would just be pushing on both sides of the ball joint...exodus told me to try usin a gear puller so im gonna borrow one from my uncles tommorow and see if it works

Derno24

#7 Post by Derno24 »

Take the end of the ball joint. Looks like a bolt. Put that on one end then wedge the spindle flat part by the ball joint and start cranking. I have done this twice. I would have to get a pic so you will have to wait tomorrow to see if we are talking about the same thing!

wanablaze

#8 Post by wanablaze »

A little tip Maz taught me at Socaldale: Grab a hammer and give the spindle (around the balljoint) a good whack while pulling on the a-arms. May take a few whacks, but should pop right out and you can have the job done in a couple minutes.smile.gif

Mjollnir

#9 Post by Mjollnir »

Ditto Wanablaze. Works like a champ. I think it was Josh from Trinity that showed us that trick though...

First put the ball joint bolts back on so you don't smack yourself in the face when it breaks free.

For the bottom one, step on the a-arm (assuming it's still attached to the quad), and pull up on the upper arm while a helper WHACKS the spindle where the lower ball joint stud goes through it. Don't be shy. Pretend the spindle is your sworn enemy, and said nasty things about your mom.

Once that is free, leave the lower ball joint bolt on, continue to step on the lower a-arm, pulling up on the upper a-arm, and your helper will then whack the spindle where the upper abll joint bolt goes through. Use the same vigor as with the lower.

They should just pop free.

The other methods will work, but are more complicated than necessary. They are, however, the methods we were trying until we were shown this trick...

Marc

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

I did say whack it with a hammer first:p

Just messing. I switched to the vice due to metal on metal. When you beat the bottom ball joing it can bugger the threads, but odds are if you are going that far you will probably change the ball joint.