In your thoughts and prayers...

Happyboy

In your thoughts and prayers...

#1 Post by Happyboy »

Well, a friend and fellow Daler, Bobby from this site took a very bad spill on Sunday while we were out riding. We were going up an incline and it rared back on him and he went over backwards. He could hardly move and knew that there was something wrong. To make things worse he was half way in the water and the water was cold..... We ended up having to get him on a back board and walk him out of the trails....bout a mile in. They medi-evaced him out (chopper) and took him to the hospital. At his point we don't know a whole lot other than he does have a compression injury and a fracture in the lower lumber at C2/C3 (last couple of vertabre in the lower back). He is in better spirits and can move his feet and toes but does have some numbness in his left leg, everyone feels that it is from the swelling. I just came home from the hospital and last I heard they may end up waiting until the morning to decide whether or not to perform surgery.

I hope that waiting for the decision to have surgery is a good thing and it means that there is no immediate threat to his spinal cord.

Sean

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Let's all hope for the best! Let him know we are thinking of him!

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Get better soon Bobby we will be praying for you.

TraumaRN

#4 Post by TraumaRN »

I am hoping you were referring to either l2-l3 or s2-s3 which are located in the lower back. high cervical spine injuries such as a c2-c3 fracture are life threatening injuries. c-spine refers to the cervical spine, or vertebrae in the neck, t-spine refers to the thoracic spin or upper back, l/s refers to the lumbar/sacral region which is the lower back. compreesion type fractures are rare in the cervical spine, so i am hoping that the injury is in fact to the lower back.
If the fractures are stable without retropulsion into the spinal cord, all should be well. Unstable fractures are a different story. If he has any neurodeficit, he has probably been placed on steroids to reduce inflammation/impingement into the spinal cord. the fact that he has movement and sensation is promising. treatment is usually palliative and should not require surgical intervention unless the fractures are unstable.
The good thing about neuro-spine docs is that it is a difficult field to get into, so usually they are very good. im sure your friend is in the best of hands. at this point just get as much info as you can. if i can be of help, don't hesitate to ask, especially regarding anything you may be unfamiliar with. i wish your friend luck and hope he may soon ride again.

Ryanstones

hate to hear it...

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

Hang in there bobby.

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

Hang in there Bobby, if there is anything he needs, let us know how we can help out.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by TraumaRN
l2-l3  If he has any neurodeficit, he has probably been placed on steroids to reduce inflammation/impingement into the spinal cord. the fact that he has movement and sensation is promising. treatment is usually palliative and should not require surgical intervention unless the fractures are unstable.

Yes, l2-l3. Sorry, I had C stuck in my head. The treatment so far is exactly what you mentioned. They put him on steroids to bring the swelling down. I don't know the condition of the fracture or the disc yet. I will be going back up there later this morning.

TheJaspMan

#8 Post by TheJaspMan »

Hang in there. We are all pulling for a speedy and strong recovery!!!

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

Well, looks like the doc wants to hold off on any surgery at this point. They are just trying to get the swelling and pressure off the lower back at this point. They are going to put him in a back brace that will imobolize his lower back over the next who knows how long. He is going to be laid up in the hospital for a week and then put into a rehab. It sucks pretty bad but it could have been much worse.

KYmxracer52

#10 Post by KYmxracer52 »

At least he'll be able to ride again, hopefully soon.