Rear Brake Cornering

CptHook

Rear Brake Cornering

#1 Post by CptHook »

Hey, havent really mastered this yet, and I generally never thinkg to do it until Im too far into the corner, I just throw my body into it and hope I can get my rear end to come loose. Anybody got somne good tips on how to do this correclty without stalling the bike out? Im assuming all you racers know this as second nature.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I wait til the last second, slam on the rear brake, then pop the clutch to slid that a$$ around. It works really well for tight turns. It takes a little practice though. Also, some feathering of the front brakes to keep control might be useful.

cdaleracer52

#3 Post by cdaleracer52 »

when i come into the turn i get on the rear breaks just to get the a$$ out little. Then i give hard but equal throttle with clutch. when the clutch is out its all gas from there and i launch out of the turn. I find it a very smooth, fast and clean turn.

protraxrptr17

#4 Post by protraxrptr17 »

The most important thing is to keep your speed up. Also run high into the corner. Remember if you go in high, you'll come out low. If somebody passes you on the inside when you "square one off" you can usually pass them back because they will exit the turn high. Squaring off works great on flat turns where you can't rail it because you drift out too much. If everybody else is railing it you can pass them easily with a well timed square off. Jeremiah Jones does the best ones I have seen. Watch Huevos 5. He has a good chapter where he does some race type riding on a very knarly track. I watch it in slow motion and try to pick up on some of his moves.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

When I come into a corner I am on the gas and using the front brakes at same time this allows the rearend to break loose as much as I want and controlled with the clutch.Very little use for the rear brake.

jfarrar

#6 Post by jfarrar »

in a banked turn i enter as as fast as i can trick myself into doing.i look for the point of the berm where the edge of everyones tires are hitting(the edge of the hardpacked area and the loose stuff is)and i hook my wheels right in that groove.to low and you will slide. getting on the front brakes hard to squat the suspension and widen it out too.at this point i will have my weight on the inside of the quad.i usually will hold slight tension on the lever through the corner to keep the front down. only hit the rearbreak if i have to to break traction depending on how tacky the turn is.i then hold it between wideopen and 3/4 throttle(usually wide open)and feather the clutch to control the power to the ground.i now have all my weight on the outside peg and am railing out of the corner praying i dont loose my grip..alot of things beginners miss is the sliding in a banked turn.if it isnt necessary dont doit.if you are sliding you are not accellerating.you want to rail it in other words get all the traction you can on the tires that count.alot of times i will come out of a corner on one wheel because that is where your weight needs to be if you can picture that.

jfarrar

#7 Post by jfarrar »

in a flat corner( if it is hardpacked) i hammer into it stab the front brakes , position my body ,turn the bars ,slam the rear brake quick start to slide,whip the quade around with my legs and dump the clutch and slowly move my weght rearward to achieve and control traction.
if it is loamy i will basically do the same but instead of dumping the clutch i will hold her open and feather the clutch with my weight rearward as i can position it.

jfarrar

#8 Post by jfarrar »

in a sweeper i never let off.might pull the clutch in for a sedc at the beginning if i need to point the frontend somewhere but then its back to business

cdalemx301

#9 Post by cdalemx301 »

farrar u keep ur weight on the outside peg??? wouldnt u want it on the inside peg so as two keep u from two wheeling

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by cdalemx301
farrar u keep ur weight on the outside peg??? wouldnt u want it on the inside peg so as two keep u from two wheeling

Outside peg = traction. To much and you land on your head. Did you read the part about hanging on? If you do this correctly, it will just about spit you off.
One more point, if you look at alot of beginners in the turns, you will see their inside leg sticking out. Look at the pro's, their legs are tight against the bike. Next time you sit on the bike, clamp it with your legs and lean, you will fell the leverage affect. Ever see a small log roller work? Same effect here. Another advantage to using your legs to hold on: Look at your leg muscles compared to your forearms, which do you think is stronger and will last longer? When I practice, I will do a few laps standing the whole track, or do the track sitting the whole time. You will learn alot by doing this, from cornering to braking. Another tip to try, ride few laps only using your front brakes, then ride only using your rear. You will be amazed at the results.