Digital camera help...

Sandstorm

Digital camera help...

#1 Post by Sandstorm »

I have a Minolta 4.0 mp. It is the biggest POS. I have taken hundreds of pics and not one has come out w/ the correct lighting.. I bought new rechargeable batteries and they last 15 minutes.. Anybody have a good recomendation on a cheaper 2.0 or higher camera. I see the adds on Ultimate electronics and Circuit City, Best Buy. I just want something cheap that takes a good clear shot. DON'T EVER BUY A MINOLTA!!!!!!!!!:mad: :hammer:

Sandstorm

#2 Post by Sandstorm »

That's my same model. I use the Auto feature. My wife works at an exclusive camera store. She took it in and the sales guys said my settings looked good. They should,, it's on Auto.. I bought a new charger and baterries thinking my other was bad. Nope,,, still killing my new batteries in 15 minutes. My charger is a 2hr charger and my other is a 24hr charger.. I don't mix the batteries in either charger..

Ryanstones

#3 Post by Ryanstones »

I really like the canon A70 I have. A80 now think. I Remember you took some pics with it at LS!:head:
Small, 200+ pics on 4AA NiMh, decent optics and pretty cheap, can't remember, 300?. It doesn't have sound with the Movie mode though.

I have an older/bigger Nikon too that does have better optics/pic quality.

Only by one with standard size batteries.

CptHook

#4 Post by CptHook »

what kind of price range are we talking here?

jesshamner

#5 Post by jesshamner »

My mom's fujifilm is only 2mp and it takes awesome pictures. Its much more clear than my roommate's sony cybershot 5 mp. It was $400 new but this is the equivalent now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id...23&type=product

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

I would have to agree with ****** you should play with the settings. One other thing to extend battery life only turn the camera on when you are taking a pic then turn it off. Also turn off the display. Just use the view finder. Yes it is nice to see the pic after taking it, but with the ability to store more than 24 pics just shoot away and look when you are done. So many times some simple adjustments will help. Most of the pics from earlier in the year I took with a Sony Cybershot 2.1 mp camera I think they turned out ok.

TheJaspMan

#7 Post by TheJaspMan »

Also check the settings on picture size and qulity. The higher you go, the more processing the camera does. hence more battery usage.

Mine uses Nikon propritary battieres. I can go for about 400 images. And have had one last for days. I am currently looking at the new Nikon D70. I am hoping it does as well.

I shot about 10-20 rolls a weekend on 35mm these days. And the one thing I have learned (the expensive way) is that it's all about lense selection and film speed. A good digital is no diffrent. With the settings on auto it's going to focus and then adjust by the entire field of view.

If you are having lighting problems you need to adjust your settings. For example 'background compensator'. A lot of cameras go +2 and -2. If you have a bright background you can move up to +2 and it will make the foreground image show up. And visa-versa. But that is a very simplified explination.

Read the manual, sometimes the little hints are better than the bulk of the information.

Another good option is to sit down with a note pad. Turn all your settings to the max and start shooting. Right down the local conditions and then adjust one step at a time. Write down what frame and setting you are one. That what you can tell what the camera is doing.

cannondale440

#8 Post by cannondale440 »

If your camera will, adjust the shutter speed. Should probably leave the aperature at like 2.8. shutter speed will range probably from 1/1000th sec. to like 3 seconds. If you need more light adjust shutter for a longer exposure time, if too bright adjust for a faster one "1/1000".

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by TheJaspMan
Mine uses Nikon propritary battieres. I can go for about 400 images. And have had one last for days. I am currently looking at the new Nikon D70. I am hoping it does as well.

I have the Nikon D70 and man it is nice!

As for any point and shoot they all have similar lenses and abilities just finding how it compensates for action is the trick. Sometimes you have to fool the camera. Pre focus in an area and allow the subject to ride into it. Sometimes following the action is better. If you are going to do any testing of settings just use the same area don't move and adjust while you shoot.

Oh one last thing not many people take into account. Always put the sun behind you. If you take a pic facing the sun in auto it will always be dark!:head: :wow

TheJaspMan

#10 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by Derno24
I have the Nikon D70 and man it is nice!

As for any point and shoot they all have similar lenses and abilities just finding how it compensates for action is the trick.  Sometimes you have to fool the camera.  Pre focus in an area and allow the subject to ride into it.  Sometimes following the action is better.  If you are going to do any testing of settings just use the same area don't move and adjust while you shoot.  

Oh one last thing not many people take into account.  Always put the sun behind you.  If you take a pic facing the sun in auto it will always be dark!:head: :wow

How would you compare your D70 to others you used? I have really been impressed with that one. And it would work with all my current AF lenses too.

The sun issue is what I am dealing with at Earlywines. The background is such a large flat white space it creates a dark foreground unless I use come kind of compensator.