Atheism????

Smitty911

#1 Post by Smitty911 »

This is not an attempt to single anyone out but most Cannondale owners seem to have above average intellectual abilities.

There are videos on youtube.com about atheism and how people are proud to blasphemy God.

I've come to the conclusion that atheism is a non tenable position to hold and wonder why atheist spend so much of their time telling theist that there is no God. Why do they care?

I believe there are three basic people in the world

1. God exist
2. I see no evidence that God exist
3. I know God does not exist.

Of course each of these position may be broken down into some subgroups, but overall I was just wondering:
1. How can someone know God does not exist?
2. How much evidence would it take to change someones mind.
3. What it took for us to believe God exist.

Feel free to ignore this post if you are offended in any way, I don't understand why anyone could be, but thats me.

Smitty

UpsMan

#2 Post by UpsMan »

My question is, why do all religions seem to think they are the only ones that have it correct, that everyone else is wrong? And why do they spend so much time trying to convert everyone? I really can't stand people that try to impose their beliefs on me.

I also don't understand why atheists would spend their time trying to convert someone over to their set of beliefs.

When it comes to religion, I wish people would just do their thing and leave everyone else alone. As long as you aren't sacrificing virgins at the alter or hurting someone somehow, I don't really care what you do.

Smitty911

#3 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 28 2007, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is, why do all religions seem to think they are the only ones that have it correct, that everyone else is wrong? And why do they spend so much time trying to convert everyone? I really can't stand people that try to impose their beliefs on me.

I also don't understand why atheists would spend their time trying to convert someone over to their set of beliefs.

When it comes to religion, I wish people would just do their thing and leave everyone else alone. As long as you aren't sacrificing virgins at the alter or hurting someone somehow, I don't really care what you do.

Good question, Each of the world religions are mutually exclusive. Although there are some truth and good teachings in all of them. I will try and give you a quick run down based on some studies of world religions that I have done?

Buddhism (This would include most Eastern religious systems) - they don't care what you believe they are comfortable telling you what they believe.

Hinduism - They believe in millions of gods, there is a god for every reason and don't much care which one you pick.

Islam - They will tell you that Mohammad was gods last messenger and you need to convert or pay a high tax/be killed. If this offends any Muslim, I have two copies of the quran and can support that statement with them and the appropriate hadith.

Judaism - They believe in one God- but do not accept Jesus as his son(or messiah). Haven't met to many that wanted to convert me.

Christian cults (Mormon, Jehovah Witness) They teach that though their religion is the only way to heaven. These two deny that Jesus is God in the flesh, and you have to do certain things to be saved from eternal separation from god.

Biblical Christianity - believe that though Jesus (God in the Flesh) that he is the only way to eternal life with God. This is supported by having the only Book in the world that future event are talked about hundreds if not thousands of years before the actual events take place. The Bible is also the only religious book that is supported historically and geographically. The plus side of course to all of the above, we don't have to have a blind faith, we get to still use our noodles. cool.gif

One question - if everyone did their own thing and left you alone, how long would it be before you were effected and than what? unsure.gif FYI - Never move to a Muslim controlled country.

Smitty

ozarkdaler

#4 Post by ozarkdaler »

Excellent breakdown. Smitty you just barely scratched the surface on the Muslims. It is crazy what they can justify as holy.

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 28 2007, 03:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is so bad about salvation? All you have to do is believe in Jesus Christ and you have recieved the FREE gift of eternal salvation. You get to keep living your life however you choose because once you have recieved the gift of salvation, it can't be taken away. I'm not trying to impose my beliefs on you. I'm just wanting to know why you're so opposed to religon.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont think he said that he is opposed to religion.He just doesnt want any religion coming to his door to try converting him.

I think 90% of the Atheists who preach thier Atheism do it because they are terrified of the unknown.Well God is so big we cannot comprehend.Religion is just a human way of dealing with something that big.The Atheist that preach thier non belief are the one who are terrified the most.They will probably be the first ones in the gate biggrin.gif

UpsMan

#7 Post by UpsMan »

I had a big paragraph written and posted buy deleted it. I don't want religion to be an issue here. I'm here because I own an ATK.

yamadjs08

#8 Post by yamadjs08 »

I don't even want to get started LOL...

Not that anything is getting out of hand, just that I am somewhat opinionated in this and I'm too lazy to type all of that right now. Maybe tomorrow...

Smitty911

#9 Post by Smitty911 »

MODs - I understand that sensitive issues have resulted in tempers flaring up. I would ask any of you, if feel that you are getting upset, walk away, or send me a PM of e-mail to discuss it. If we don't discuss important issues among friends, who can we discuss them with?

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 28 2007, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a big paragraph written and posted buy deleted it. I don't want religion to be an issue here. I'm here because I own an ATK.

Not picking on you UpsMan, but we are all here for the rides first. Other issues that are important should be discussed. I have not push any religion at you, I just asked what people thought, you responded, so I clarified some basic positions. I would love to discuss what you believe, if your interested PM, or e-mail me, if not; no worries.

If I knew that next week you were going to lose your job wouldn't you want me to tell you? That would allow you to make an informed decision in regards to your future. I would want to know, so I can prepare myself and family. --- Did I answer your question about why they do it?

It has been my experience that people will get mad at you if you ask them a question about a belief system that they cannot support. ex If I asked an atheist if they know everything and they answer "No". I can ask a follow up question like "Out of all there is to know in the universe how much do you know?" An honest answer would be not much. So the last question is "if you said you didn't know much, how do you know there is no God? unsure.gif

They would instantly be changed from an atheist to agnostic (not enough evidence).

I am truly interested in why some people don't believe in God. That's all. It may be from a misunderstanding of what they know, a bad experience (church or personal), school classes, etc, etc.

Smitty

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ Jan 29 2007, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't even want to get started LOL...

Not that anything is getting out of hand, just that I am somewhat opinionated in this and I'm too lazy to type all of that right now. Maybe tomorrow...

Feel free when you get a moment. Like I said, I'm interested in why people think a certain way.

Smitty

Guy310

#10 Post by Guy310 »

People try to talk to you about their faith because thats what the book tells them to do. The Bible instructs believers in Jesus Christ to go out and tell others of his deeds so that they may also receive His blessings. That's why. Some people are more forceful than others when it comes to telling you about their faith. If you don't want to listen, you can tell most people to kindly keep their opinions to themselves. The others, well, you can tell them whatever you like.