A few questions

yamadjs08

A few questions

#1 Post by yamadjs08 »

Hey guys, I've been lurking these forums and Cannondaler.com for quite some time now, I've read up quite a bit about Cannondales. I ride a Blaster at the moment and will be getting a new quad soon (with in a month or 2) and ever since the Yfz450 came out that was like my dream quad. Now if I want to get one of those it might be a little longer than a few months, not really sure. But I've known about Cannondales for a while now and the technology and everything else about them just amazes me, and I may be one of the few people who actually do like the look of them, I actually love it. Now the reliability scares me off a little. I know with updates and such they can be pretty reliable, and I would probably send the motor in to ATK like a few years from now, but with just the basic updates done and stuff, would it be reliable enough for me? Would it start when I want it to and such? I really love everything about these machines, Im not too scared of working on it myself, but I really would rather not, and Im pretty sure there isnt anybody near me that would work on it (maybe a few ATK dealers that are quite a ways from me), and this scares me off from them. So I guess my real question is, if I bought a used Cannondale that had maybe 50 hours on it with all of the updates, would it be fine? Ive had my blaster since 2001 and I bought it brand new then, Ive beaten pretty hard and it still runs great with stock top end, but I have taken pretty good care of it with maintance and such. Will a Cannondale be a good quad for me???biggrin.gif Thanks guys:)

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

cannondales are strange machines. just because one has low hours doesn't mean it'll be a good one. routine maintenance is key to keeping them running for a long time. but that doesn't guarantee anything either. haydugs ultimate kit is a far better value than ATK's motor options IMO, for about the same price. if you decide on a dale, factor in the D&M kit or get one with the D&M included with it. it's a necessity. also there's a few guys in wisconsin that are pretty handy with cannondales, not sure how far they are away from you though.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

where in Iowa are you? I have a brother up in Aimes. Talk about nothing to do up there....... I guess you can ride fast through the corn fields!

yamadjs08

#4 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by Happyboy
where in Iowa are you?  I have a brother up in Aimes.  Talk about nothing to do up there.......  I guess you can ride fast through the corn fields!
I'm in Vinton, its about half an hour from Cedar Rapids and about half an hour from Waterloo. I thought I seen on the ATK site that there is ATK dealers in West Burlington, and Nevada Iowa. It really isnt that great of riding here, Waterloo has the closest puplic riding area. But around my house its just fields and not much timber. There are some ok riding areas in Iowa though.

yamadjs08

#5 Post by yamadjs08 »

I still dont know whether or not I should go with Cannondale, there isn't anyone near me who has one, Ive never even seen one in person. Anybody have any comments on whether or not I should?

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

If you are willing to change the oil every 10 hrs, and do all the other maintnance then get you and you won't be happier. If you do not want to have to change the oil that often, get a 400ex. I don't think you can get a 450 these days w/o having to do the maintnance.

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by theJeStEr1340
If you are willing to change the oil every 10 hrs, and do all the other maintnance then get you and you won't be happier. If you do not want to have to change the oil that often, get a 400ex. I don't think you can get a 450 these days w/o having to do the maintnance.
Its not that regular maintnance is a problem, I was just talking about anything major breaking. I wouldnt mind changing the oil after every ride at all.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Too many of the Cannondales have been sold "with all the updates done"Beware make sure they are done.

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

My college roommate currently lives in Vinton, IA. I'm probably about 2.5 hours from you. You're more than welcome to make the trek here and try out a dale.

I have one running and one waiting for some parts. It will be running before March.

Becareful, these dales are addicting.

yamadjs08

#10 Post by yamadjs08 »

Originally posted by dalewannbe
My college roommate currently lives in Vinton, IA.   I'm probably about 2.5 hours from you.  You're more than welcome to make the trek here and try out a dale.  

I have one running and one waiting for some parts.  It will be running before March.  

Becareful, these dales are addicting.
Well, maybe I'll take you up on trying a dale out...biggrin.gif What is your roommates name? I might know him, Vinton isnt that big of a town. Where are you going to collage at?