engine and tranny fuild

440speedrider

engine and tranny fuild

#1 Post by 440speedrider »

just wonder what brand and weight you guys ran in your motor and tranny?

dawzie

#2 Post by dawzie »

This topic has been covered dozens of times with dozens of answers.

But

I run Amsoil 0w-40 motorcycle oil in the motor and tranny. Winter and summer.

www.amsoil.com

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

that's what i have been running but I was comparing some of the specs on the 0-40 and the motorcyvle 10-40 and the 10-40 appears to be better in a few places, what I can't remember but if Brad Oakley were to look at the 2 he could probably explain the difference and why one is better if it even matters.

Brad Oakley

#4 Post by Brad Oakley »

I run a full-synthetic, 10 -30w in the Summer, and 5 - 30w in the Winter. Any good quality brand will do. My personal is Mobil One since I can get it at Costco:)

OK - I really didn't answer the questions. I'll do that now. Don't use any engine oil with a "heavy" component higher than 40w. Going heavier than 30w with a full-synthetic isn't really necessary since there is no thermal break-down to speak of. On the tranny, don't go heavier than an 85w because of the pump.

bowhunter74

#5 Post by bowhunter74 »

You don't use synthetic in the tranny do you? It makes the clutches slip.

Brad Oakley

#6 Post by Brad Oakley »

No... Just a high-quality 80w OR 85w gear lube (I use BelRay since I got a deal on it!)

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

I use the Redline Lightweight in tranny, with no slipping clutch issues at all. Two motors pulled this week, and both were sitting about 4 weeks untouched, after having crank problems about 1-day apart -- The redline motor has every part of internals completely covered with oil, top to bottom, amazing how resistant to settling off the parts -- even top-inside of sidecover -- everything.... the other motor (will advise oil type soon) is completely opposite and even "dry" inside to the touch above the recent drain line.... I'm "sticking" with the Redline! biggrin.gif
Mobil One in engine side, but the Amsoil is very tempting -- just hate that membership deal they impose on 'ya.

CptHook

#8 Post by CptHook »

In the motor I use redline 10w40
Tranny I use Amsoil 85w
Havent had a problem yet

MX Quad Dad

#9 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
I use the Redline Lightweight in tranny, with no slipping clutch issues at all.  Two motors pulled this week, and both were sitting about 4 weeks untouched, after having crank problems about 1-day apart -- The redline motor has every part of internals completely covered with oil, top to bottom, amazing how resistant to settling off the parts -- even top-inside of sidecover -- everything.... the other motor (will advise oil type soon) is completely opposite and even "dry" inside to the touch above the recent drain line.... I'm "sticking" with the Redline! biggrin.gif
Mobil One in engine side, but the Amsoil is very tempting -- just hate that membership deal they impose on 'ya.

Never heard the membership deal as a reason not to buy, but it is a viable reason. I just thought of something funny when I read it, I think I'm going to tell my wife she can't shop at Sams Club because of the membership:eek: , then I will run and hide, lol.

Seriously though, I got started with it for the 2 stroke oil and it was an easy desision after a little math. First off they were the only oil manufacture that said they would stand behind thier product at 50:1 in my Banshee, luckly never had to find out if they would. Then most dealers here charge way over list price for the oil, so the savings over the yamalube was enough to sway me, then I would save the membership on just the 2 cycle oil alone and after a short time I switched everything to Amsoil. the clutch life got better with the synthetic oil also. They also advertise that they use synthetic Base Stock, which not many so called full synthetic use.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep, you can't just buy it occasionally -- you have to commit for one thing, and plan ahead to order it (vs. grabbing a 4-pack at Sam's Club!). The Amsoil website is very impressive though, and lots of users are VERY happy -- I think many of us are "sold" on it, but just haven't "bought" it! biggrin.gif .....yet LOL