Should I pick up the Cannondale I have a deposit on?

drbowtie

Should I pick up the Cannondale I have a deposit on?

#1 Post by drbowtie »

I have had no knowledge of any of the Chapter 11 or the Cannondale ATV in general until I visited a showroom on Friday. I placed a deposit on an 03 Speed at a purchase price of $7400.00 and that is a lot of money for me to spend to:

A. Not have a factory
B. Not have parts availability
C. Not know if the vehicle would be fixable if it broke

Does anyone share my concern? The Honda dealer is right down the street and I know that I will be able to get a part for a 400ex and I could also get a Predator... I'll bet Polaris will be around for a while.

I do realize that the benefit to owning a Cannondale is unmatched performance, however... If it's a birdbath in my back yard because I can't get it repaired how much fun could it be?

I am suppose to pick it up on Monday and I sure would like some input from folks. You seem to have a better understanding of the current situation. It would just seem foolish for me to buy one now with what knowledge I do have.

AlaskaSpeed

#2 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

Honestly, if I was in your spot I wouldn't buy the Speed if you are that concerned. Things look good for the future from rumors we have heard, but it's different for the guys that already own the dales.

What dumbfounds me is why everyone has done nothing but bash the Cannondales since they were introduced, yet they flock to a brand new Polaris sport quad and Gas Gas that is also pretty much unproven. This is just insane to me...lol

Truth is that the horror stories you read about are the exception, not the rule and if you maintain your RACE quad like you should anyways; you won't have any problems. I have owned and raced my 2002 Speed for going on a year now and have never missed a weekend of racing or riding due to failure.

I would probably find a deal for a bit better than 7400.00 though, especially during the scared owner period we are in now. I hope this helps ya.............JIM

here is a pic of mine mid season 2002....

AlaskaSpeed

#3 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

and here it is now, ready for the 2003 season....

mountainman10

#4 Post by mountainman10 »

That is a terrible price! If you act fast you should be able to get a much better deal from someone else. I have seen some rediculously low prices here lately.

4punksdad

#5 Post by 4punksdad »

I was recently confronted with the same dilema. I had a proven reliable 400ex which I was not looking to unload. I had ridden a dale and was open to owning one.
The right deal came along that allowed me to trade the 400 and buy a slightly used c-dale.

this was right around the same time c-dale was going down. I took the bold leap and decided that with forums like this, I would be able to source parts if the worst happened. no fears here....................I am a happy c-dale owner. smile.gif

dawzie

#6 Post by dawzie »

James 70214 just bought a '03 cannibal for $4500
Now THAT'S a deal !!!
and with the $3k you saved you can add lots of stuff to it.

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

Well,

I think I have made the decision to go with the dale, however it sounds like what I now must do is locate a scream-in deal... Any ideas on where I should look in the Northeast? It must be new!!!

If anyone has a lead on one call me 518-458-7700

drbowtie

#8 Post by drbowtie »

You might want to ask for me... JIM STARR Thank you!

mountainman10

#9 Post by mountainman10 »

Check out the "can you believe these prices" thread in the for sale furum. Those are some pretty good prices.

drbowtie

#10 Post by drbowtie »

Just called them and they said, "We're all out of 4 wheelers"!