What's the advantage to beadlocks?

acarli3

What's the advantage to beadlocks?

#1 Post by acarli3 »

I don't know much about them other than they are expensive. What purpose do the beadlocks serve exactly? I know hipers weigh less than stock rims, but many of the beadlocks are aluminum or steel like any other douglas rim so there has to be something else advantageous about them I don't understand other than just weight. Do they come apart for home tire install and removal versus needing to special tire removal equipment you find at a tire store or mechanic shop? I have seen people talk about using a "bead-breaker" What is this exactly?

Any help educating me would be appreciated...

TheJaspMan

#2 Post by TheJaspMan »

HiPers are actually not much lighter than aluminum. They are just stronger and can be repaired with seperate parts.

Beadlocks allow you to run a lower air pressure. And they also keep tires attached to the rim. So even if you get a flat you are not SOL. Those are just a couple of basics.

MrSlithers

#3 Post by MrSlithers »

It's also a heck of alot easier to change/remove the tires from the beads on beadlock wheels.

TheJaspMan

#4 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by MrSlithers
It's also a heck of alot easier to change/remove the tires from the beads on beadlock wheels.

Man I don't know. It seems like it takes forever to remove all those bolts from HiPers! :mad:

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

when you get a rediculous amount of hookup it keeps the tire from falling off the rim smile.gif

MrSlithers

#6 Post by MrSlithers »

I mean more for the Champion beadlocks I have. The tires just slide right off. I've heard HiPers were bad with bolt removals tho.

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

Use a cordless drill for installing and removing bolts from hipers. I can change out the rear tires completely in about 15 minutes.

theJeStEr1340

#8 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Beadlocks won't bend when you hit trees sad.gif

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

The tire won't pop off the bead leading to a flip either! Yes, I've had that happen before. Not fun!

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Man you guys are lazy. Bust out the impact gun for removal and installation like Lap said it doesn't take long at all. I hate trying to change regular rims they are a pain.