New Cannibal has found its home

fourwhls

New Cannibal has found its home

#1 Post by fourwhls »

My new 03 Cannibal was delivered this afternoon. The new project has begun. I will try and do it right this time and take pictures throughout the process.

Here are a few of the first shots. There will be plenty more in the near future. About 90% of the parts needed to set it up for National TT and MX are on order.

fourwhls

#2 Post by fourwhls »

These pictures make me realize that I need a bigger garage.

I wonder if the wife will let me knock the wall out between the garage and the living room and let me expand the garage?????

Anyway, heres the other side.

fourwhls

#3 Post by fourwhls »

Last one. Checking to see if the stud update has been done.

Jimmer

#4 Post by Jimmer »

Nice!!! Where did you buy it from? Keep us updated.biggrin.gif

fourwhls

#5 Post by fourwhls »

World of Powersports in IL.

RedNeckRacer

#6 Post by RedNeckRacer »

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

I have also just purchased a Cannondale Speed 03 model. I will be checking the stud upgrade this weekend. So let me know how you make out and if there is anything that I should look out for when I do mine on Sunday... Maybe I'll take a few snap-shots at the same time.

P.S. Have you seen the posts that speak of the stud update not being a sufficient repair for this backing-out problem? If so, do you have a plan to insure your machines future safety? Also, do I have to check any studs on the right hand side of the engine or are these bolts/studs of concern only on the left hand side?

Finally, (gosh I didn't think I had this many concerns) what is the production date of your machine? Mine was 11/22/02.

fourwhls

#8 Post by fourwhls »

RedNeck,

5174 to my door. Nice Huh?

Drbowtie,

I have my own oppinions on the stud update. I don't see where they are gaining any benefits from replacing the bolts with studs and nuts.

The only thing that I can think of would be that they were eliminating the tolerance factor between the bolt length and the hole depth. If the hole is too shallow, the bolt will bottom out and tighten and give the illusion of security.

A stud and a nut are not going to prevent loosening due to vibration any better than a bolt going into a threaded hole.

I think my fix is to either cut a thread or two off of the bolts or purchase some new bolt about 5mm shorter. Clean the holes out, apply some more loctite and call it a day.

There are no studs on the right side of the engine that I know of.

I don't know what the production date is on my machine. I have that info at the house. I do know that it is #0053

DangerRanger

#9 Post by DangerRanger »

From all this talk it looks like I will be pulling the bolts, checking them and safety wiring them. Seems to be a better idea than just the stud update. I haven't got mine apart yet. The motor is out, but will tear into it tonight. hoping to find everything in order(fingers crossed) It is #305 so it could not be determined if it already has the update or not, and besides then bolts in question ARE NOT part of the update anyways. They were only on the crankcase , not the trany plate bolts. Wiring along with primer and high temp/high strength red loctite(it is red, but higher heat capability for internals of motors) hopefully will cure any problems. I have the engine mount kit done, I will have it in and try and evaluate it. Alot of the ones I have looked at are stainless which is nice, but too soft for the application, and anything steel grade 5 and below is to weak. I am using an 8.8 cad plated bolt. I will let you guys know how it goes and hopefully get some good pics up.

Ben

drbowtie

#10 Post by drbowtie »

Hmmmm, where do I find this #---- number number? Also, I have zero intent on racing this machine... It will spend a couple of hours per month trail riding and having fun riding the only Cannondale just about anyone I will ride with has ever even seen! Hey, did I mention it's yellow? (smiles)

So with that said, how concerned should I be with these bolts? If the upgrade kit has not been done do I have to dissassemble the engine?:eek: Gosh, I hope not!