headlights killing battery

dsracer666

headlights killing battery

#1 Post by dsracer666 »

I went for a 3hr ride to night, very fast high reving ride.

the first hour I rode when I would stop it would start up no problem.

but later on when I would stop it would act like the battery was dead?

by the end of the ride I coulden't even run the lights or it would break up!:mad:

whats going on? is this a common problem?

speed2424

#2 Post by speed2424 »

Check the output from the stater to see how many volts it is putting out.smile.gif

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Check your bulb wattage -- are you stock at 37.5 watts each?

I might try a 35w and 50w spot/flood for 10w above stock, but more than that may be pushing it -- is anyone running 100w with no problems?

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I just ran tonight with a 55watt bar light in addition to the stock headlights. No charging problem.

cannondale440

#5 Post by cannondale440 »

Maybe the voltage regulator/rectifier has gone bad. Guys correct me if im off base.

dsracer666

#6 Post by dsracer666 »

this is a brand new quad, and only my 2nd ride on it! :mad:

Dave E

#7 Post by Dave E »

Chris, Monday I'll call the tech at ATK to see if they have an answer. Check to see if any battery cables or grounds have loosened. Put volt meter on battery to see if it's charging when running with lights on and off .

scooter-crusher

#8 Post by scooter-crusher »

Dude, I had that EXACT PROBLEM, I checked every ground, connection, etc, finally changed the battery, come to find out the battery (which was about 1 month old) would not take a charge, so it never had enough power, wasn`t noticeable until I turned on the lights, then it would spit and sputter all over. I changed the battery out, and never used the headlights again......

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by wistech
I just ran tonight with a 55watt bar light in addition to the stock headlights. No charging problem.

Great news!!! I know it's cold there, but if your fan is running normal that's very encouraging -- other guys have drained away at 100 watt load?...hmmn, I'm gonna try more watts now, and call you from boonies if I get stranded!!

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

I had a radiator block off plate in but it was rather warm last night so the fan was running off and on just like normal. I used the single 55w bar light in moderation also because it was blinding everyone. smile.gif