The Halls Of Destruction

Speedy2222

#361 Post by Speedy2222 »

here's what did in my dale 2 years ago at silver lake.. had other issues but the thing still ran. you can tell the buckets were sticking really badly too, i assume a mixture of heat and lack of oil was my downfall.. 3k basically down the drain. i actually have it on gopro, the exact moment it lost power and started running like ***.

werty

#362 Post by werty »

So sand mountain trip last weekend I noticed oil puking on my boot and the oil return sightglass empty. Well I was idling around with my son so I parked it and figured something broke on the pump gears. The gears looked worn when I installed them and at the time I didn't have a extra set. Well after teardown today tracked the failure from gears to scavenge pump to the decompression blowing apart. Whats nice about all this is trying to find a good exhaust cam now. Here's some pictures.

werty

#363 Post by werty »

Free to a good home.

cdsracer

#364 Post by cdsracer »

Post up some pics of the cam lobes...

Happyboy

#365 Post by Happyboy »

Looks like powdered metal decomp. tsk tsk

werty

#366 Post by werty »

I didn't get good pictures of the lobes. Was a bad Saturday night for me finding that. On a lighter note the spare motor I got for my s440 is very nice and lots of really nice parts in it. Fx400 cams with billet decomp. metal pump gears. The hd clutch basket. So just need to sure up the decompression weight and port the head. Busy weeks ahead.

wistech

#367 Post by wistech »

Here is a funny story . Brian Kinney just rebuilt a yfz for a customer and a couple day later the guy came in furious . He said it ran for a minute then died and now it has no compresion. Brian must have messed up his engine and he is ready to sue. So Brian gets the motor back on th ebench and this is what he finds. What the heck is that ? Can you guess what might have happened? It sat in his barn for several months while the engine was out.

speedracer

#368 Post by speedracer »

My guess would be mouse poop.

yamadjs08

#369 Post by yamadjs08 »

Oh wow...

Some sort of food that mice stored conveniently in the airbox/intake boot? Ive had that happen on a Cannondale before, pulled the front plastic off and found a bunch of dog food piled on the ECU tray.

vickie0523

#370 Post by vickie0523 »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ Jun 19 2014, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh wow...

Some sort of food that mice stored conveniently in the airbox/intake boot? Ive had that happen on a Cannondale before, pulled the front plastic off and found a bunch of dog food piled on the ECU tray.

I would say that yamadjs08 is correct. if it was stored in a barn it appears to me that mice have stored some kind of grain in there......I have discovered dog food on my tray as well. ive also started a few of my quads after sitting in garage for a month or so and had dog food fly out the exhaust!