The Halls Of Destruction

POWER MAD MAN

#381 Post by POWER MAD MAN »

[attachment=13759:1104152006_00.jpg]Just a little JB weld.lol[attachment=13760:1105151650_00.jpg]
Motor I made with mostly junk parts. I got three years of ponding the krap out of it. Until now.

bigfoot17

#382 Post by bigfoot17 »

Winner!!

wistech

#383 Post by wistech »

Here is one Brian had come in . If anyone is still around that remembers the JE piston fun we had in the early 2000's this yfz had the bottom of its wrist pin boss ripped out as well after just a few hours running. Its a Namura piston.

wistech

#384 Post by wistech »

Here is one of our Maxxforce 7 turbos. For some weird reason the shaft broke off at full power and jammed the nut into the front of the plenum . The compressor wheel spun itself around and is now in there facing inwards. The turbine wheel complete with bearings and the rest of the shaft ended up downstream in the muffler. It was still mostly intact along with the bearings . Since the engine now had oil pressure blowing hot oil directly into the intake and exhaust it ran away and the only way to shut it down was to jam my jacket into the air filter housing. There was 2 quarts of oil left in the engine. The fire department showed up at the scene as it created a blue smoke cloud fogging the whole neighbor hood. Its pretty hairy approaching a runaway diesel revving to the moon that could decide to grenade at any second. Amazingly the engine survived and just needed a new turbo. CLeaning 10 gallons of nasty diesel oil out of the converter ,aftercooler,exhaust and the particulate filter was a true nightmare.

Catmochanic

#385 Post by Catmochanic »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Nov 11 2017, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is one of our Maxxforce 7 turbos. For some weird reason the shaft broke off at full power and jammed the nut into the front of the plenum . The compressor wheel spun itself around and is now in there facing inwards. The turbine wheel complete with bearings and the rest of the shaft ended up downstream in the muffler. It was still mostly intact along with the bearings . Since the engine now had oil pressure blowing hot oil directly into the intake and exhaust it ran away and the only way to shut it down was to jam my jacket into the air filter housing. There was 2 quarts of oil left in the engine. The fire department showed up at the scene as it created a blue smoke cloud fogging the whole neighbor hood. Its pretty hairy approaching a runaway diesel revving to the moon that could decide to grenade at any second. Amazingly the engine survived and just needed a new turbo. CLeaning 10 gallons of nasty diesel oil out of the converter ,aftercooler,exhaust and the particulate filter was a true nightmare.

FWIW, a ???runaway??? in diesel terms means the technician should RUN AWAY!!! Your Cajones are bigger than mine🤪

wistech

#386 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Catmochanic @ Nov 12 2017, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, a ???runaway??? in diesel terms means the technician should RUN AWAY!!! Your Cajones are bigger than mine🤪

Yes one needs to think about the options. It wasnt revving beyond high idle so mechanically it would hold together. I guess with no turbo boost and choking on its own oil it kept it relatively safe. Now back in the day we had lots of runaways with sticking fuel pump racks on our mid 90's DT466 internationals. I was seriously considering walking away but when the fire dept is there eyeballing you and its a $20000 engine which I dont have time to rebuild well you know....

Catmochanic

#387 Post by Catmochanic »

Where I work we have done about a dozen Cummins ISB 6.7 swaps for various counties school busses. Out with the Maxxforce 7 and 6.0. It???s a really nice repower kit....

wistech

#388 Post by wistech »

One of the guys on the jet ski forum thought his engine locked up but there was a slightly different problem "rattling " around . ohmy.gif

kdeal

#389 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 12 2018, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the guys on the jet ski forum thought his engine locked up but there was a slightly different problem "rattling " around . ohmy.gif

Is that a snake in there?

wistech

#390 Post by wistech »

Yes it is a snake jammed up in the jet pump . He tied a knife to a stick and cut it up to get it out. Forget that crap. Im glad I live where there are not any water snakes. ohmy.gif