The Halls Of Destruction

marshall100

#331 Post by marshall100 »

Amazing. In the first pic I wondered if it was even a dale motor.

Untold.

wistech

#332 Post by wistech »

That baby let go at WOT at the rev limiter during a race. Ive had a few engines blow chunks in my time but this one actually sounded like a bomb went off with a smoke cloud and flying debris to boot. The starter went through the radiator before flying out to the side and dangled from the battery cable.
That was the first 70 horse engine . Nitrous shock loads caused the pin to crack right in the center so the rod end had to hold it all together till it fatigued and broke off the end of the rod. As a testament to the strength of the crank a new rod was installed and it has been running ever since.

claas900

#333 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Oct 27 2011, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured Id put these where they belong. From the this is why we used tool steel wrist pins for nitrous lesson.

Been there done that, I even lose the fan and radiator. The rod stopped at the tranny. It was even a 2.2 crank.

NRath

#334 Post by NRath »

Those aer some nasty pics! I was thinking that I bet the rider couldn't get off it quick enough! That one tore up way more than just a motor!

Gotta' remember to check the Youtube vids from home...

Speedy2222

#335 Post by Speedy2222 »

knew i needed carrier bearings but ****

marshall100

#336 Post by marshall100 »

blink.gif

wistech

#337 Post by wistech »

This is whack . I wonder how long it was running this way. The missing pieces were long gone and the broken out areas were sooty so it was running happily with exposed rings.LOL
It was a stock wiseco piston . The crank bearing was ripsawing .

rayspeed

#338 Post by rayspeed »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jul 17 2012, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is whack . I wonder how long it was running this way. The missing pieces were long gone and the broken out areas were sooty so it was running happily with exposed rings.LOL
It was a stock wiseco piston . The crank bearing was ripsawing .

I have had that happen with those exact same pistons but to one side only... the piece exited doing no damage however it turned into a mosquito fogger right away as far as I know.

wistech

#339 Post by wistech »

Yes this engine was kind of a slight disapointment . It has extremely low hours on it and yet the crank is already junk . Its an old style cable case with machined rod . It had a bunch of goodies likea bike basket , metal oil pump gears ,aluminum cam cover and fx400 cams in perfect condition but I was banking on the bottom end to be good. The case is also the X5 marked dark gray one.

haulinit

#340 Post by haulinit »

My dale motor blow chunks last night in a heat race. I had just left the face of a jump and heard a loud bang; when I landed it was locked up tighter then a drum. Got it back to the trailer and had a look blink.gif I knew it was bad but I didnt expect this.

blink.gif huh.gif mad.gif