The Halls Of Destruction

wistech

The Halls Of Destruction

#1 Post by wistech »

How about a thread of ATV failures? Feel free to add pics of quad or engine damage. Ill start it off with a pic of what happened to my test engine when it was run extremely low on oil. ( I accept no responsabilty)The wrist pin siezed on the rod . Then it siezed on the piston. It looks like the rod won the battle of who was going to break first.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Look how hot the rod got . There are heat bands running all the way down to the bearing. This is a Timbo rod with a z400 bearing. The rollers on the bearing were black,the cage had its own blueing but even with no oil the journals are still perfect and the bearing never failed. If we can get the pin out of the rod without damaging it I think it can be re heat treated bushed and reused .

The engine ran out of oil because being a test motor it got a used fx400 piston and sleeve that turned out to use a little oil. Well the oil check guage on my speed lies. It always read half full even if the frame spars are empty. The hole down on the inside is not in the center and as the stick is installed to check it it perfectly wipes oil in the center of the guage. This was never a problem since the engine before never used oil. I put 450 miles it before it used all but an ounce of oil. Lesson learned. Dipstick guage cut off and oil will now be checked by physically looking into the frame spar.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Is this a failure?
[img]http://tinypic.com/20jzf7[/img]

USAMoto00

#4 Post by USAMoto00 »

I believe that Farrar could add a few chapters to this. lol:(

MrSlithers

#5 Post by MrSlithers »

Anyone see anything wrong here?

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

Here's my contribution
[img]http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=75929[/img]

Jaybr

#7 Post by Jaybr »

and the rest

[img]http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=75932[/img]

CdaleRacer0128

#8 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

Here's mine.. wade's first batch of pistons, oh wait, then a second one blew, oh then a third:o

aroracer72

#9 Post by aroracer72 »

JUST the thing i wanted to see RIGHT before i put my dale back together.....LOL....some nasty ones there guys. I dont have pics...but my 2001 cr250r dirtbike.....the whole skirt of the piston snapped off.......went down into the crank....got jammed in the crank/case...cracked open the case.....fudged everything up..YIKES
That four stroke valve failure looks uugggllllyyyy
CHAD

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Hey Jay Ive been there too.LOL