Titanium Stuff

aroracer72

Titanium Stuff

#1 Post by aroracer72 »

Me and my dad always have a convo about titanium every now and then.....we have a nice collection saved up of special titanium welding rods.....and have books on it....and almsot got a welder and started making a-arms and starting a buisness...but otehr projects forced delay. But now ive been starting to talk about it more...and jsut wanted to share a thought. If i or someone else were to make titanium component replacements for all the steel components on our quads...we could save some serious weight. Could safely drop about 20-30 pds..EASILY..while mainttaining same strength. I love this idea and hopefully will make it happen within the next year. If yah can think of anything sanificant enought to make out of titanium.....post it!!!.....main things ive thought of are these

REMEMEBER...ti is 1/3 the weight of steel..and jsut as strong..sometiems stronger.

a-arms
axle
steering stem
and maybe swingarm(not lighter then stock..but lighter then all aftermarket swingarms)
CHAD

IMAGINE HOW MUCH WEIGHT YOUD SAVE FROM A TI AXLE ALONE!!!!!!

aroracer72

#2 Post by aroracer72 »

And dont get excited or anything......but how does a ti axle for around half a grand sound????
CHAD
And remember gents........a lighter axle decreases unsprugn weight........therefor increasing performance smile.gif

dsracer666

#3 Post by dsracer666 »

I would like ti arms if they were a no shear point like walsh, houser,etc......(I will not run an a arm that has a screw in ball joint)
and a ti 250 conversion kit would be sweet. (subframe)

claas900

#4 Post by claas900 »

..here read this post this one ...RAD makes a Ti axle,what iv read about it has mixed reviews..Thats about all i know right now..smile.gif

aroracer72

#5 Post by aroracer72 »

personally i think RAD charges too much for their axles. I mean it isnt cheap to make an axle....and they need to make money..but im not a huge manufacterer so there for i can sell for a more affordable price. IF i were to do this in the future that is.
CHAD

dsracer666

#6 Post by dsracer666 »

I had a RAD ti axle on my ds, if you break it down there not that expensive.

most models are 800$, the ds is 1000$ they come with all hubs and bearing carrier.

if you break it down

bearing carrier- 250$

2 wheel hubs- 150$

sprocket and break hub- 160$ that all comes to 560$ so the axle only cost 440$ for the DS

and if your talking about a yfz or 450r, the axle only would cost 240$

sounds pretty good now:)

aroracer72

#7 Post by aroracer72 »

you have to remember it doesnt cost RPM 250 to make a carriar and etc. And it costs 300 jsut for the bar you need to machine an axle out of...so it DOESNT cost 240 for an axle for the yfz for a smaller buisness. RPM prolly has a ti supplier that gives them a deal.
CHAD

cdrookie

#8 Post by cdrookie »

so you have a complete machine shop at your place and tooling required to do all the machining and grinding? or is this like the fuel injection set up you and your dad are designing for the other 450's? i'm beginning to believe the long winters up there are freezing your young brain...

dsracer666

#9 Post by dsracer666 »

Originally posted by aroracer72
you have to remember it doesnt cost RPM 250 to make a carriar and etc. And it costs 300 jsut for the bar you need to machine an axle out of...so it DOESNT cost 240 for an axle for the yfz for a smaller buisness. RPM prolly has a ti supplier that gives them a deal.
CHAD
I just saying if you bought every things seperate, thats how the price would break down!

go out and buy a lonestar axle with all 4 hubs and a carrier, then tell me what the price would be!

aroracer72

#10 Post by aroracer72 »

LOL....we arnt a huge buisness....we are researching on what to start doing with our spair time..cause wed like to start a buisness. And everyone knows in order to make it you gotta come out with soemthing neat or trick or different.....or same thing for cheaper price. And my dad IS adapting our dales efi's to other quads starting with his ds650. In time he is gonna write his own ecu that will auto adjust for pipe changes...etc. And this is just a post for ideas and to talk about stuff..not an advertisement....so i deserve the insults. But dont worry i havnt taken it personally or anything. A good buisness does lots of R&D to make the right product or invest in the right stuff. But i guess you guys have probs with people asking questions???
CHAD
and ds650racer.....that would cost alot!!!....and i never knew the RPM axles came with a bearing carrier also!!..thats kinda odd.