The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

Derno24

The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

#1 Post by Derno24 »

Well last year alot of effort went into putting a quad together for the 6hr event at Rausch Creek and 12 hr event at Iowa. It was decided early on that I would be racing this series again, but this time on a Cannondale as I originally planned.

Derno24

#2 Post by Derno24 »

Alot of thought went into this machine and background research as to what would be the most reliable and potent set-up motor wise for this race.

I was on the phone with Haydug going over most of what would go into this machine as he supplied all of the parts for the motor reconstruction.

I purchased a pre-ssm engine from Haydug. Along with a Falicon, JE 450 piston kit and sent the head out to Doug for porting.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

I also placed a stage 8 kit, aluminum impeller, and new clutch in the motor.

Mapping was the next issue as I was looking to mapping that would allow us to ride this quad for 6 and 12 hr respectively without wearing you out.

With the help of Jaybr and ****** and also some runs at the local dyno we found a map that worked well and would run safely with proper fuel settings.

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Now for the review of this motor. My personal opinion is that this motor can pull all day due to the extra torque of the stroker and bigger piston. Randy and Chad the other two teammates both said this is the most powerful motor they have ridden. Randy has been piloting Cannondales since they were introduced and Chad has a Polaris Predator and a YFZ .

There were also several other teams that came up to us after the race to comment on that nasty machine. You could easily run it a gear higher lugging it all the way below the rev limit and it would pull itself right out and accelerate at a blistering pace. I found that traction was the key as the extra torque makes it easier to spin the rear wheels. The Irazors kept the rear wheels from spinning and made all that power hit the ground.

All 3 of us riders said that there was no problem passing any machine out there in a power battle.

I just want to thank Jaybr and Haydug for the excellent work they have done getting us access to these parts.

Derno24

#5 Post by Derno24 »

Feel free to ask anything you want as I think it will help to get as many answers for you as possible.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

What rpm limit were you able to use?

Brad77

#7 Post by Brad77 »

I should have asked for a test ride since I am building a motor with almost the same specs.tongue.gif

GDITheman

#8 Post by GDITheman »

This is good to hear since Doug is building my engine into a stroker right now. Reliability is my biggest concern. So I'm hoping that the increase in torque will allow me to run the engine at lowers rpm's and "saving" the engine some.

Which map did you use?

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

We used a blaze/speed map that had a rev limit of 11,000. I just looked that up so it wasn't something that we pre planned that way. We are learning that cooling is the biggest issue with these and any machine that runs for 6-12 hrs.

I don't think that the rev limit would have changed much as 500 rpms wouldn't have hurt us. Knowing the other team members well enough. They as well as myself didn't come very close to it at all.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Brad77
I should have asked for a test ride since I am building a motor with almost the same specs.tongue.gif

You will love it.