leaking antifreeze

hawksd1

#1 Post by hawksd1 »

Hey all Got a question for the gurus Ive suddenly found a slow coolant drip back on the rear of the motor by the swing arm pivot...Its just a small drip but I cant seem to locate it at its source. Heres what led up to this ... I broke an axhaust mount while riding by crushing the can with the rear axle, well the head pipe slowly fell resting on the oil return line to the spar on the left and it of course melted a hole in the line. When I stopped I noticed it and it just started draining oil so I know it didnt get hot. I loaded it up in the truck and didnt start the quad again until I fixed the line and exhaust and changed the filter and remaining oil. So now I notice after about 10 minutes of riding to check every thing out that it leaks coolant onto that flat area under the head pipe on the motor but for the life of me I cant find the source....any ideas???

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

look for a crack in the case by the rear head bolt/stud
it might have a smiley face crack there.

hawksd1

#3 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Mar 1 2007, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
look for a crack in the case by the rear head bolt/stud
it might have a smiley face crack there.

I took a good hard look for what you suggested and didnt find anything any other suggestions...Its a very minor drip but its enought to worry me. If I run this thing longer will it get bigger or not allow the cooling system to work...all kinds of things running through my head

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I had one that had a 2 inch crack there. Very hard to see. It never really leaked much . Its got to be coming from somewhere. Cleasn it off real good and look harder. LOL

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

Water pump housing leaking and the wind blowing the coolant back to the swingarm?? Cam cover loose? Just a stab in the dark...

hawksd1

#6 Post by hawksd1 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Mar 1 2007, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had one that had a 2 inch crack there. Very hard to see. It never really leaked much . Its got to be coming from somewhere. Cleasn it off real good and look harder. LOL

if its leaking from the head by the exhaust would it spray out from pressure or would it drip. The reason I ask is because it seems there is some coolant on the cross bar between the spars above the exhaust head pipe...not as much as on the motor below but a little

peterock

#7 Post by peterock »

double post

peterock

#8 Post by peterock »

This may help. Check your coolant bottle where you have the return from the head. I noticed my sidespar was getting damp and water by the swingarm. System wasn't loosing a lot of coolant as the level in the bottle didn't drop much at all. I ended up finding a small crack by the return nipple. Water was following the side spar down and leaking onto the swingarm footpeg area.