Installing Injectors

MyCannibal

#1 Post by MyCannibal »

any kind of tips I should know before I start doing this...easiest way to get to them?...do they just plug in?...I tried to take a look with a flashlight but I didnt have much time...thanks.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

For one pull your airbox. Make sure you lube the orings with light oil not grease. The fuel caps must be carefully rolled onto the injectors or you will cut the rings. I like to go slow and push the oring into the cap with my fingernail instead of just shoving it on. Some injectors come out very hard so spray some silicone in on them and wiggle them a little to work it down into the head cavity. The electrical connectors come off by just pushing the wire clip in the middle to release. Put them back on straight or you will bend a pin. Make dang sure the fuel cap retainer are not under stress when they are holding down the injector cap and the caps groove is in both slots. Otherwise vibration and fuel pressure will pop them off and spray your engine with fuel . I usually use a couple zip ties around the caps and electrical clips just to prevent the catastrophy as a secondary measure.

Gibson265R

#3 Post by Gibson265R »

Why not grease....Thats what I have used every time and never had any trouble...but if there is a good reason I would like to know.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

I second the question, especially since every manual I have seen including the Cannondale Factory one says to use o-ring grease.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Why not grease? Because In the top of each injector if you have ever cleaned them you will notice a very fine filter . You get a big glob of grease in that tip and it will plug it up causing hard start/no start condition for a while. Nice thick oil like gear oil will disolve quickly in gasoline many greses will not without agitation. If you must use a grease use petroleum jelly ,cam lube or other engine assembly white grease and use a slight amount just on the oring. It is designed with a low melting point and to disolve quickly even in oil. Just a little tip from my days at the fuel shop. So many have a different idea of how much is enough to use that its best to play it safe and just dip them in oil that wont cause problems
Note if you need new orings they sell them at most all parts stores in a assortment for a buck or 2.
For removing injectors out of the head and the caps a good shot of silicone spray does wonders .

rayspeed

#6 Post by rayspeed »

Grease or oil will degrade the o rings over time so I second the o ring lube.
You can get it at a cat dealer, parker or anywhere where they sell o rings or work on hydraulics. With the more wide spread use of them I am even seeing it at auto parts stores near the rtv sealeants.
Heck even... ahem... personal lubricant that might be found in a night stand or a drug store near you is better for the o rings than grease or oil.
But you are on your own when it comes to making any explanations to the significant other or anyone else that notices that stuff missing or finds it on your work bench!

speedracer

#7 Post by speedracer »

Thats good humor Ray.

MyCannibal

#8 Post by MyCannibal »

personal lubricant?...I dont know what you're talking about.

peterock

#9 Post by peterock »

I would think you are fine with oil.....................look at all the orings inside the motor that are exposed to oil?????

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

I think everyone is taking this too far. Wistech's answer about some people putting way too much could be an issue. I put dielectric grease between my thumb and index finger and lighty apply to the o-ring then install it. I understand the oil trick because you really can't put too much unless you filled the FI cap up and put it on. As for the personal lubricant....knock yourself out. blink.gif