Tranny Filter Solution?

cannondale27

Tranny Filter Solution?

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is a idea I came up with.The spring added to the filter would allow you to put filter into hole in back of motor.(you cant do this well now since when filter is fully seated in hole it is too far in to grab with fingers and on some the filter will not be centered in the plug hole) Then you would put spring into hole in plug.The spring would guide filter into plug.

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

that sounds ilke it'd fix it..its like that on my warrior, it goes, plug, washer, spring, then filter..

:clap:

gc714

#3 Post by gc714 »

I thought about that one too, after I lost my tranny filter inside. Though I have yet to find the right spring!!

I've checked all local place around here. Have you had any luck?

atvrulz

#4 Post by atvrulz »

Hey gc714 whats the story with how your filter was lost? Mine was just slightly bent and it looked fine and even seemed secure in the drain bolt. Then after less than five hours of riding, i removed my tranny oil drain bolt and all that is left is a clump of metal, and the amount of metal is not the same as the original filter, so the rest is in engine. Quad was running great though right before i noticed.

gc714

#5 Post by gc714 »

I was one of the most lucky around.biggrin.gif

I must've missed the inner hole at the previous oil change. When I realized it must be inside the motor I felt inside with a screw driver. I heard it moving in there. It was still in one piece! It took about an hour and a half to get it out. I had to bend it using a screw driver and a hammer. Other than the stab wound from me it was whole! Couldn't have been luckier!

I can only think that since it went in straight and easy, I must've slide it on top of the whole. The drain plug went in all the way finger tight with no problems. Just had enough room to roll side to side in the small chamber there. If it would've turned the other way it would've been chewed on. Still can't believe it! I went the whole time between oil changes.

Now every oil change, I sweet bullets and it takes me forever to do it. I'm constantly pulling the plug back out to make sure it is in correctly.

Anyone please let us know if you find the correct spring/ or another fix for this problem.
Thanks

cannondale27

Here you go

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Here it is this works slick important part to remember is WHEN FILTER IS SEATED IN HOLE AT BACK OF MOTOR CORRECTLY THE END OF FILTER WILL BE AT HALFWAY POINT OF PLUG HOLE.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Spring is held on filter with a o-ring this lets you feel for the hole and makes it easy to remove the filter.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Spring and o-ring are from Ace Hardware
4springs packet Century #5214614 7/16x2-1/8x.030 $3.29
o-ring 35723b $.34

You need to cut spring to length shown and plug hole needs to be enlarged with a 7/16 drill to allow spring to go into plug.Spring is threaded over o-ring.

gc714

#9 Post by gc714 »

Awesome!!

I was looking for a spring that would fit thru the filter. One that was skinny enough without being too tight of a coil to block oil.

Sometime I just overlook the obvious.Lol

Great Job! Thanks, Greg:D biggrin.gif

TricityCdale

Is this guy something or what?

#10 Post by TricityCdale »

First Stage 8, now this.......is there a Cannondale Hall of Fame?