Fuel Pump Question!!!!!!

promod

#1 Post by promod »

Greetings fellow C'dalers!

I know there has been post on this before but cant find...and i have never had this problem before..so its a first for me! huh.gif

But is there anyway to free up a stuck fuel pump from sitting with fuel in it? I usually try to start all my bikes monthly, but kinda let a few slide, and tried to start one of my early MX400's today and fuel pump not running/working and getting very warm!, its not a fuel delivery problem on fuel getting to pump or power to pump...its just stuck and not running!

Any idea's other than replacing pump? any help appreciated as always! wink.gif

rayspeed

#2 Post by rayspeed »

I have freed one up by taking it off and putting it upside down and spraying some penetrating oil in the inlet and letting it soak overnight. Then rigged directly to a battery and some lines stuck in a gas can and let it circulate. As long as you did not cook the windings of the one you have by applying voltage with it locked up too long. If the penetrating oil does not work you could rig up two batteries to zap it with 24 volts briefly to get it unstuck as a last resort.

promod

#3 Post by promod »

QUOTE (rayspeed @ Feb 14 2013, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have freed one up by taking it off and putting it upside down and spraying some penetrating oil in the inlet and letting it soak overnight. Then rigged directly to a battery and some lines stuck in a gas can and let it circulate. As long as you did not cook the windings of the one you have by applying voltage with it locked up too long. If the penetrating oil does not work you could rig up two batteries to zap it with 24 volts briefly to get it unstuck as a last resort.

rayspeed, biggrin.gif Thanx for your advice & help!, Had the same idea about the soaking which i did, but still didnt work with the 12 volts!, But the 24 volt zap broke her loose, first you could here it try to move, so i reversed the polarity... gave her another quick 24 volt shock... then it moved again... quick re-shock again with correct polarity... and away she went... so connected back to 12 volts and it was purring like a kitten laugh.gif !, flushed her out real good as you mentioned above, threw it back on and bike fired right up and ran great!, the 24 volt quick zap was the ticket! Thats a tip i will always remember if it ever happens again wink.gif ! Thanx a million again! Ciao!, MW