Performance Tune Your ECU (with D&M kit

southbaymoto

Performance Tune Your ECU

#1 Post by southbaymoto »

ISSUE:
Many folks are complaining about issues with stalling and erratic idle. This becomes and issue when your computer looses track of the controlling sensors. This is usually caused by normal riding abuse such as jarring, beating, bouncing, weathering, etc. The sensors tell your computer which part of the map to read. This intern delivers commands to the injectors on how much fuel to deliver (fuel delivery) and to the coil on what time to spark (ignition timing). If your computer gets confused it will cause the issues mentioned below.

SYMPTOMS:
Spastic idle, high revving, idle will hesitate before dropping, stalling for no reason.

SOLUTION:
Your ECU needs to be tuned quite often, I tune mine at the same time I change my oil (about every two races/rides). To do this you must have the D&M tool, you can get it from Optimum Power www.optimum-power.com the cost is about $200 - $300, it will work with your desk top or laptop. Please read below for step by step directions:

1. Power on the bike or ATV but do not start it. On all two wheeled motorcycles you will need to repower the ECU after making any changes to the computer.

2. Download "all" calibrations from ECU by using the ????????????????Receive??????????????? feature located on the tool bar.

3. Once receive is complete make written record of all the calibrations you see and never loose them. If you loose them you will have to have the injector??????????????????s flow tested to reacquire these calibrations. They are specific to the injectors. Cannondale used to carry these on record but to my knowledge the support no longer exists. We offer this service for a small charge.

4. Close and restart program. I do this just as a safety net to be sure I am working with a clean slate.

5. Open desired map. You will need to load the new map from a directory that you originally saved it to. EX: C:Documents and SettingsdlundeMy Documents. If you do not wish to change the existing map skip to step #7.

6. Upload map to the ECU by selecting the "Send" button from the tool bar.

7. Select "Update" calibration file from the tool bar and type in the calibrations you received in step #3

8. Select "Send" from the tool bar to upload the new calibrations.

9. Manually back out the idle set screw located on the left side of the throttle body until the screw no longer makes contact with the stop tab.

10. Select to "Set Throttle Position" from the tool bar.

11. When prompted set minimum position by selecting ok.

12. When prompted to set maximum position, open the throttle all the way at the throttle body cam with your finger then select ok.

13. When prompted select to send new calibrations to the ECU.

14. Open the monitor from the tool bar.

14. Read the throttle position field then manually open the throttle with the idle set screw, increase the number by three EX: if it is 2.2 set it to 5.2.

15. Start engine and let it warm up.

16. When engine is at normal operating temp. (70C) and the stepper is open to 205 adjust the idle setscrew to have the idle field at 2200 rpm. These engines need to run at a higher rpm during idle. They have an auto compression release mechanism that will function at a lower rpm and cause stalling by opening the valves.

17. Go ride and have fun!:head:

If these posts have been helpful please let me know info@southbaymoto.com.

Dustin
SBM

cannibalq8

#2 Post by cannibalq8 »

hey Dustin

this me Naif. just i wanna ask about what should i do now with southbaymoto new map on my ECU EXACTLY ( AS I KNOW I SHOULD RE-CALIBRATE THE THROTTLE ONLY !).

how can i choose ur map from ecu and re-calibbrate the throttle ? how can make this EXCTLY!

thanx and sorry for bothering you

southbaymoto

#3 Post by southbaymoto »

Naif., how was your honey moon? Congradulations!

All you need to do is just skip steps 4 - 8 and you should be fine. Please let me know if you need further help with this>

Dustin
SBM

cannibalq8

#4 Post by cannibalq8 »

its very cool there in Australia ( Gold Coast ) very nice palce with very nice ppl smile.gif)

thanx for asking smile.gif